Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2006, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods Floorperson conversation

As far as paying time out of your pocket, just do it discreetly and nobody's going to say anything, mostly because they won't notice.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as paying time out of your pocket, just do it discreetly and nobody's going to say anything, mostly because they won't notice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This from a dealer, tsk, tsk...

[ QUOTE ]
For example in mixed games they refuse to change games every rotation - apparently the regs only allow them to change it during the dealer change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that is true. We played HORSE the other night and changed games every 8 hands.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 PM

I played in the 5/10 horse on saturday with the FARGO crew. They said they were changing every 8 hands on Friday night, and Saturday when they started the game up, the floor said the regs only allowed downs, and that 'last night never happened'.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:36 AM

This is so farkin' hilarious.

A couple younguns wear a baseball cap and shades on TV, and all of a sudden, absolutely everyone under the age of 30 just HAS to wear baseball cap and shades, and they have REAL GOOD reasons for doing it. Not, it's not because they saw it on TV. No, not at all.

Then, a couple of players show up on TV with iPods, and all of a sudden, absolutely everyone HAS to listen to their iPods while at the table. They have EXCELLENT reasons for doing it, too. No, it absolutely has nothing to do with copying the people you see on TV. No, not at all.

So now, we see a bunch of rich degenerates tossing wads of hundreds around, and "running it twice"/"doing business," and now we've got people screaming about how they can't do it at their local B&M. Of course they have PERFECTLY LOGICAL reasons for wanting to do it.

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with aping what you saw on TV. Nope, not at all.

Thank god originality and individualism are alive and well... somewhere.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:17 AM

I played in the 5/10 HORSE game on Fri night and we did play every 8 hands. Great game. When we started the Saturday game the floor denied this request. I quickly racked up after an hour and jumped into a 10/20 O8 game. We tried to get the floor to make it a 1/2 kill but our request was denied. Something about gaming comission rules....strange.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

question 1: Why can't you pay the time charge out of your pocket in an NL game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played at Foxwoods, do the NL games have a cap on the buyin? If so, then it's the same reason you can't buyin above the cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is the answer I have received. And it makes no sense whatsoever.

If you allow people to pay for their time/lunch/tips/blackjack/slots/hookers out of pocket, this in no way affects the table stakes. Unless you require this guy to take it out of his stack because this other guy doesn't know any better. The reasoning therefore becomes "Everyone has to use their stacks because everyone has to use their stacks."

If I go to Foxwoods to play NL, I'm smart enough to bring more than one buyin, plus enough for time, plus enough for lunch, etc. If others do not bring enough for time in addition to multiple buyins, this should not be my problem.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 PM

agreed. As an example, I can play 1-2NL at Foxwoods and buy in for the minimum ($40), which many people do. If I play for 1 hour and never pick up a hand, I will pay the blinds for about 30 hands, or 3 orbits, or $9, and also pay the time ($5) twice from my stack, I now have $21 in front of me. How can that possibly sound like the right idea?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So after playing there yesterday, my brother and I wanted to ask a few floorpeople what the deal was with conflicting rules in the poker room, meaning that the rules change depending on what floorperson is on that day.

question 1: Why can't you pay the time charge out of your pocket in an NL game?

a: blah blah blah....table stakes....sounded like every adult in a Charlie Brown cartoon. In other words, there is no good reason for it.

question 2: Why don't dealers keep their own tips?

a: "blah blah blah....It's more fair that way." I disagree and think it's ridiculous. A tip is a reward for good service, and not a requirement by the patron to give. If it's supposed to be "more fair" than they shouldn't be paid in tips, IMO.

question 3: Why are you not aloud to do business? (business example: 2 players in an NL game are all-in on the flop, one asks the other to run it twice before they flip their cards. The dealer then deals a turn and river, takes both cards back, reshuffles, and deals another turn and river. If they each win once, they split the pot. If someone wins twice, they win the whole thing.)

a: "I've been in the poker business for 14 years and have never heard of that." Followed by "That's not part of our gaming license."

Can anyone explain the second part to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I don't play NL, seems like allowing people to run it twice is a really bad idea b/c of the reasons said, would slow the game down. Also, I like not having that choice b/c then I don't have to be put in the situaiton of looking like a jerk if I say no.

As was explained to me last time, foxwoods poker dealers free ride off the BJ et al dealer tips (if everyone kept their own tips, the avg BJ et al dealer would take home more). So the foxwoods dealers like the system the way it is, and vote down changing it whenever it comes up.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Snip

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I don't play NL, seems like allowing people to run it twice is a really bad idea b/c of the reasons said, would slow the game down. Also, I like not having that choice b/c then I don't have to be put in the situaiton of looking like a jerk if I say no.

As was explained to me last time, foxwoods poker dealers free ride off the BJ et al dealer tips (if everyone kept their own tips, the avg BJ et al dealer would take home more). So the foxwoods dealers like the system the way it is, and vote down changing it whenever it comes up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know who told you that but there's basically no way it's true unless you're the worst poker dealer ever.
For what it's worth I drop about twice the toke rate on average in your typical games/typical nights.

I hear that a lot from table games dealers, who obviously don't know.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(business example: 2 players in an NL game are all-in on the flop, one asks the other to run it twice before they flip their cards. The dealer then deals a turn and river, takes both cards back, reshuffles, and deals another turn and river. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the way it works. You don't shuffle the cards back in. You reduce the variance more when you don't shuffle the cards back in.