Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Ask Mrs. Utah About Birthin\' Babies

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ughhh....easily the most disturbing post in 2+2 history.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree

Edit: If you're my wife, do not click above link...

[/ QUOTE ]Dear God. You win and it isn't even close. Dialin a therapist now....

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry.

Back on topic:
Mrs U, you ever have to deliver out of the hospital, like in their car or something?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:45 PM

What's the deal with breastfeeding Nazis? Yes, my wife knew about all the advantages, but when her daughter nearly starved to death the first week because she couldn't produce enough milk, she knew our son was going to go straight to formula. They made her feel SO bad about this, guilt trip city, yet for her it was the right decision. Do these people not realize how overbearing and preachy they can be?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM

MrMon and Mrs. Utah,

Would it have been reasonable to breastfeed and then supplement with formula when the little one is still hungry?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hi! this is Mrs Dcasper [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I am a little concerned about the snipping 'down there' to make a wider opening for the baby to come out. does that happen all of the time? Of all things that I am skeeved out about with delivering the baby, that it the worst. That, and the potential to have a BM while pushing. <hope that's not too much info> I heard that you can use an enema when your water first breaks or when you just start going into labor. what are yor thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mrs D!

Episiotomys do not happen all the time and if you have a strong feeling or preference about it let your doctor know. They certainly do not have to-but you need to speak up. Its your body, your choice.
That being said, with first babies that tissue can be very tight and it will stretch, and often tear. An epsiotomy maked repair cleaner and easier.
Sometimes getting an epis. will cut down on time pushing.
If the baby is not tolerating the last bit of pushinng when the head is really being compressed, the doc may cut to get the baby delivered.

If you have an epidural you won't feel it. Otherwise the doc will inject some lidocaine or polocaine. Most women do not feel this.

Dads....DO NOT WATCH THIS PART!!!! Its important that you stay verticle and watch the birth of you child! Its not a big deal, but if you are at all squeamish, look away!

BM's happen, but not all the time. Most women are unaware of an we(nurses) just take care of it. As your baby drops her head will rest on top of your rectum so it will feel like you gotta go. For me, its a good sign you are getting close.

We don't routinely give enemas, but are available if someone wants one. I just figure, its not that big a deal and an enema will only make you crampy.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 PM

breastfeeding Nazis are annoying.

Do all doctors put babies on feeding schedules? My older sister followed a feeding schedule (I believe it was every 4 hours, maybe 3) and I swear that little kid looked too skinny and cried all the time. I just wanted to shake her (my sister, not the baby) and say FEED THE BABY. Can't you just feed them on demand?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
breastfeeding Nazis are annoying.

Do all doctors put babies on feeding schedules? My older sister followed a feeding schedule (I believe it was every 4 hours, maybe 3) and I swear that little kid looked too skinny and cried all the time. I just wanted to shake her (my sister, not the baby) and say FEED THE BABY. Can't you just feed them on demand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes...I get a little irritated with our lacation nurses. Again, its a personal decision and not for everyone. You gotta support that.
I try to convey this to my patients that want to formula feed...totally their decision.

Babies should always be fed on demand. The only time I have seen a schedule recommended is when a mom is nursing twins or triplets...otherwise she will be nursing 24/7.
Demand feeding will accomodate for growth spurts.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:14 PM

Feeding schedule? We just fed him whenever he wanted. He was HUNGRY! And yes, not feeding him just made him very mad. Of course, he turned into a little butterball, but once he started moving more and got on a regular sleep cycle, more on that later, he slimmed down.

Wookie - Breastfeeding was really not an option considering my wife produced mainly blood from it. It's not like there was just too little, it's that there was basically almost no milk. But I do think you can do both, though some babies don't like switching between bottle and nipple.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MrMon and Mrs. Utah,

Would it have been reasonable to breastfeed and then supplement with formula when the little one is still hungry?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of women do both. It is best to wait until breastfeeding is well established before introducing the bottle, 2 weeks or so. Women who have had breast surgeries will often have to do this.
Some women do not produce enough milk, but pretty rare, the body will produce according to demand. The more the baby nurses the more milk is produced, which is one of the reasons it is good to wait a few weeks before adding supplemental feedings. This is also nice for moms to have dads help with night time feedings so mom can get a few extra hours of sleep.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is also nice for moms to have dads help with night time feedings so mom can get a few extra hours of sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]
CHARLATAN!!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ughhh....easily the most disturbing post in 2+2 history.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree

Edit: If you're my wife, do not click above link...

[/ QUOTE ]Dear God. You win and it isn't even close. Dialin a therapist now....

[/ QUOTE ]
sorry.

Back on topic:
Mrs U, you ever have to deliver out of the hospital, like in their car or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have had patients come in via ambulance after delivering at home.
I did have a co worker delier a patient in their car in the ambulance bay.
Another patient stumbled up to the desk and the nursing assisitant that was standing there yells out,
"Her pants are crying!!!!"

The deliveries I have done have all been on the L&D floor.

I do carry a few supplies in my bag though...one of these days its gonna happen, like at the grocery store or something, and I am gonna be prepared! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]