Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Exotic Pet Thread

My kids babysat a friend's tarantula a few years ago over Halloween.

I sat on the front porch and let the tarantula crawl up my arm as a I handed out the candy. There were a lot of screams that year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was surprised at how many of the smaller kids were not scared and touched it.

It was low maintenance as you just had to feed it a live cricket every so often.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people with exotic pets are usually just giant attention whores and very douchy,

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems to be a strange thing to be hateful about. The term 'exotics' generally refers to anything that isn't a dog, cat, or farm animal. Most commonly rabbits, ferrets, rats, and other small furry things. After that comes birds and small lizards.

Do you have something else in mind when you think of 'exotic' pets (like that guy who had a tiger and an alligator in his Bronx apartment)?

[/ QUOTE ]

in my mind exotic pets are stuff like tigers and crap. Rabbits and birds and those kinda things arent exotic IMO, you can buy them at the mall, thats not very exotic [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ill explain my hate with a dog analogy since most people know someone im about to describe. Its like the person who owns a great dane but lives in an apartment, the guy who buys an australian shepard and works 80 hour weeks, they took absolutely zero consideration for the needs of their animal when they picked one out, they picked something out entirely on the "cool factor" of it. They wanted something a little different and a little unique because they want the attention that comes when people find out they own a great dane or whatever.

There is some [censored] who lives down the street from me who owns 5 siberian huskies. I live in Phoenix, its one of the hottest cities in the entire world, and this peice of [censored] buys a bunch of dogs that were bred to live in the cold. He takes them for walks in the middle of the day, why does he do this? Cuz he loves people to ask him "wow, are those wolves??", "wow, Ive never seen a dog with blue eyes!". Doesnt matter that the dogs are probably miserable as [censored] because its hot and they are wearing giant fur coats, he doesnt care they were bred to be sled dogs and that walking around the block doesnt even come close to giving them what they need. Nope, all he cares about is that they look cool and he always wanted one. I just think its cruel and completely selfish. It annoys me when people dont treat animals like living things and give them the respect that that should warrant, instead they treat them like possesions and give little thought to their needs.

and IMO, people who keep [censored] like a wolf chained to a stake in their back yard, or a couger locked in a small cage on the back porch, just so they can say they have one, are douchebags. YOu arent steve irwin, you dont run a zoo, and they are called "wild animals" for a reason. Let them do their thing where they belong. In the wild.

Obviously its not exotic pet owners that i dislike, its any bad pet owner. It just happens to be in my experience that exotic pet owners are most often the worst ones.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Alobar,

I find myself agreeing with you at a frighteningly high frequency. Sometimes I even go to post something and found that you've already said it better. I don't know why this concerns me.

Back when I was young, I owned two iguanas. I should have never ever been allowed to have that much responsibility and of course they both died. Thankfully I'm much more thoughtful now when it comes to being a pet owner.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:22 PM

alobar is right

that said, i want a monkey
Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM

The Muntjac, a miniature deer with fangs that barks like a dog:

I plan to purchase a capuchin (or another small monkey)along with a muntjac, teach the capuchin to ride the muntjac, wear light armor and carry a small sword, and then scare the living crap out of my friends after I slip some LSD into their drink.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:29 PM

I knew a girl who had a pet skunk. She said it was the best pet she could ever imagine, although even when descented it was slightly smelly, just cause of its natural body odor.

They took it away from her when she got caught crossing the border with 10,000 pills of ecstacy though.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:51 PM

My grandmother had a monkey when I was a little kid. I've never had any really exotic pets but my GF has had a chinchilla(sic?), vietnamese pot-bellied pig, an african grey as well as various snakes and reptiles.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:56 PM

i had hedgehogs when i was a kid. they were okay, but they smell really bad.

i want a caracal
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM

I agree with Alobar's original post, that being said I think even a fox wouldnt be classified as "exotic." I have always wanted a fox though, and will now start a thorough google search on the domestication process of them.

My friend has a sugarglider and its really awesome, kinda smells funny though.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:28 PM

When I was a kid I wanted a pet Elephant so that I could have him step on people that were mean to me.