Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Is your life better or worth since George Bush became the president?

Am I better off under Bush?

I am:
Pro - environment.
Pro - choice.
Pro - government funded stem cell research.
Pro - freedom of sexual choice.
Pro - Universal health care.
Pro - stricter gun control.
Pro - massive government funding of alternative energy Research and Development.
Against privatization of social security.
Against religious influence in the government.
Against drilling for oil in ANWAR, or off the coat of CA and FL.
Against our methods to win the peace in Iraq (not against the war).
Against selling our National forests and Parks to extractive industries.
Against the ban on Internet gambling.

So what do you think?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Is your life better or worth since George Bush became the presiden

If you are wrong about most of your preferences, which I believe to be the case, then yes you are actually better off. Just like when your mom didn't let you put your hand on the burner.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) An attack has not happened on us soil since 911

[/ QUOTE ]

I always laugh at this... its not as if there were attacks on American soil on a regular basis prior to 911. Or that we should have expected there to be more.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Judges nominated to the supreme court are less likely to rule in favor of cases such as emminent domain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this. I have read more cases of eminent domain in the last couple of years then I remember prior to this presidency. Didn't Bush get the state of Texas to use eminent domain to get his baseball stadium made? He's a fan of it.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Is your life better or worth since George Bush became the president?

Without a doubt, my life is worse, at least so in the areas that GWB can effect.

1. Bush's deficit is going to have to be paid, and that means I can expect higher taxes in the future.

2. Bush's foreign policies make me less safe as I live in major US city.

3. Bush's goverment has seen fit to legislate what I can and can't do with the money they actually let me keep.

This is really a no brainer, GWB is bad for anyone who expects to make over $50,000 in the next decades, who prefers activities that christian-o-facists do not approve, or who live in major cities.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My life is better for Al Gore and John Kerry not being president, regardless of what Bush2 has or has not done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to your magic crystal ball, you can definitely make this statement.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An attack has not happened on us soil since 911.....I always laugh at this... its not as if there were attacks on American soil on a regular basis prior to 911. Or that we should have expected there to be more.

[/ QUOTE ]Ah, but we expected more. Everyone was nervous and in Sept 2001 no one was saying, "Hey. No worries. This was a one off". If you would have asked the american people on Sept 12, "I can guarantee you that there will be zero attacks on U.S. soil for 5 years but I am going to have fight 2 wars, one in Iraq, and it will cost several thousand soldiers and lots of foreign civilians" they would have voted for the deal 95-5 I bet.

Bush may be a horrible president but it is generally a bad idea to ignore the facts or to slant reality. imho, it is a very important fact that there have been zero attacks on U.S. soil because I have to believe the bad guys were trying. I dont know how much credit Bush deserves but I am going to give him some.

It is very possible that you can make statements discounting the fact of no attacks precisely because Bush's actions gave you that luxury.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are wrong about most of your preferences, which I believe to be the case, then yes you are actually better off. Just like when your mom didn't let you put your hand on the burner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe in your backward religious right leaning world but not mine.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An attack has not happened on us soil since 911.....I always laugh at this... its not as if there were attacks on American soil on a regular basis prior to 911. Or that we should have expected there to be more.

[/ QUOTE ]Ah, but we expected more. Everyone was nervous and in Sept 2001 no one was saying, "Hey. No worries. This was a one off". If you would have asked the american people on Sept 12, "I can guarantee you that there will be zero attacks on U.S. soil for 5 years but I am going to have fight 2 wars, one in Iraq, and it will cost several thousand soldiers and lots of foreign civilians" they would have voted for the deal 95-5 I bet.

Bush may be a horrible president but it is generally a bad idea to ignore the facts or to slant reality. imho, it is a very important fact that there have been zero attacks on U.S. soil because I have to believe the bad guys were trying. I dont know how much credit Bush deserves but I am going to give him some.

It is very possible that you can make statements discounting the fact of no attacks precisely because Bush's actions gave you that luxury.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether an attack was prevented or not, is just a part of the question. They will never stop all of the attacks. Especially not now that they are looking to abandon the efforts in Afghanistan, continue to allow Iran to support terrorists and to pursue nuclear weapons, and all the while adding to these problems by giving the extremists tons more reason to hate us without doing a thing about their capacity to cause us harm.

They foiled some people with liquid explosives. Awesome! Can you guaranty they will thwart all 200 of the next attacks?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is how did what Bush did since he became the president affecting your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

My life is much much better. My wife and I talked for years about whether and when to have children. There was this notion of waiting until the "right" time. When Bush won reelection in 2004, we realized that the country was [censored] for the next four years, so waiting for the "right" time just seemed silly.

My son's just about a year old now, and fatherood's great!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When Bush won reelection in 2004, we realized that the country was [censored] for the next four years, so waiting for the "right" time just seemed silly.

[/ QUOTE ]That is awesomely funny.