Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: You\'ll not be allowed to play from a US ISP addy under any circums

[ QUOTE ]
You can still make withdrawals to your US bank account. If your account is already funded, than you dont even need a Canadian bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. They're pretty incompetent in general. Besides I doubt they'd figure out if you simply closed the old account and then signed up a new one. This is what most people did to get rakeback. Then you simply put in the new address. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked if they figured that out.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 AM

Default Re: You\'ll not be allowed to play from a US ISP addy under any circumstan

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So since I live near canadian border, I could get apartment there, change my address for party purposes and play there?

How about if I got the apartment for a bit in canada, changed address with party, then came back home to states and played through proxy? Would that work?

[/ QUOTE ]
Proving residency in Canada may be a lot harder than you think. It is easy to go over and get a case of Brador and drink at 19 as a visitor, but getting premission to do "residency" things is very difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically he does not 'have' to get permission from Canada to 'do residencey'. All he has to do is provide evidence that party poker accepts as evidence as to him having a canadian address. Of course there is assumed risk if he is providing, say a photo copy of a utility bill that has whited out the acutal resident and had his name superimposed..but the canadian government does not have to notorize and put an official stamp/seal on the document for party poker to accept it.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So since I live near canadian border, I could get apartment there, change my address for party purposes and play there?

How about if I got the apartment for a bit in canada, changed address with party, then came back home to states and played through proxy? Would that work?

[/ QUOTE ]
Proving residency in Canada may be a lot harder than you think. It is easy to go over and get a case of Brador and drink at 19 as a visitor, but getting premission to do "residency" things is very difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically he does not 'have' to get permission from Canada to 'do residencey'. All he has to do is provide evidence that party poker accepts as evidence as to him having a canadian address. Of course there is assumed risk if he is providing, say a photo copy of a utility bill that has whited out the acutal resident and had his name superimposed..but the canadian government does not have to notorize and put an official stamp/seal on the document for party poker to accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a credit card statement or a bank statement qualify as a "utility" in Party's mind? If so all you would have to so is get some statement mailed to your Canadian address.

I just briefly surfed over to my account on the Direct TV web site and it appears I can change the billing address there as well. Seems likely they accept that if not the others.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can still make withdrawals to your US bank account. If your account is already funded, than you dont even need a Canadian bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]
I await Met's answer, I remember him commenting in another thread that Party made him prove his residency status in Sweden to change his address in Party. I think Party will be on guard for quick changes and will continue to require that amount of proof to change a player's country of residency.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I do not advocate breaking the law (as a general principle at least lol), when going to a Registry of Motor Vehicles in the state of MA in the USA to do many transactions such as getting a new ID one has to provide "proof of residency". This consists of passing your utility bill to one of the employee's there who views it for 5 seconds. I would find it hard to believe that if I photo copied someone elses utility bill with my name taped over their name and provided that, anyone would catch it. I did that (wiht my grades) with my report card in High School and got it by my parents.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does a credit card statement or a bank statement qualify as a "utility" in Party's mind? If so all you would have to so is get some statement mailed to your Canadian address.

I just briefly surfed over to my account on the Direct TV web site and it appears I can change the billing address there as well. Seems likely they accept that if not the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know. I am not advocating or advising anyone to break party's rules, just speculating.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 AM

Default Re: You\'ll not be allowed to play from a US ISP addy under any circumstan

I am not suggesting that you try to play from the USA. I think this is a big mistke. Party is super serious right now about not violating any US laws. If they catch you worming in with a Proxy, I think you can expect them to possible lock you funds and ban you from ever playing again ZJ style.

Here is what seems to be happening from Party perspective:

1. You cannot play real money if your account's address is registered to an American Address.

2. You cannot play poker from an American ISP regardless of your nationality or home address.

3. You cannot fund your account from an American bank

As they have stated numerous times, you can still make withdrawals to American bank accounts.

You do not need to create a new account. All you need to do is update your personal information. This means that you need to move somewhere outside of the USA. I do not believe it means that you need residency.

As long as none of the above apply to you, I do not believe you will have a problem playing from PP.

I wouldnt be surprised if they require that you give them a phone number to call you in that country. That would verify if you are actually there. After that, they probably will not scrutinize your location, unless you log in again from the USA.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. They're pretty incompetent in general. Besides I doubt they'd figure out if you simply closed the old account and then signed up a new one. This is what most people did to get rakeback. Then you simply put in the new address. In fact I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked if they figured that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but would you bet 1/4-1/7 (or however much you keep on party) your bankroll they did not figure it out?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Met,

Did PP want to call you in the foriegn country? Did they specify whether a PO box would work instead of an address?
Did they ask to see your passport? Did they what kind of Visa/Residency you had?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They called my Swedish phone to talk to me.

They wanted my passport to prove I was who I say I was.

They wanted a bank statement or utility bill sent to me in Sweden.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM

"I did that (wiht my grades) with my report card in High School and got it by my parents."

My guess is that they will want to call you in that country which would prevent someone from faxing these documents from Idaho.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The US fish will not be jumping through these hoops to fund their Party accounts, so I don't know why you people even bother to speculate about this stuff. Party's US traffic will be migrating to other sites, so unless you have some perverse fondness for the Party software, you should do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone needs a table full of fish to win.