Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 AM

Default Re: So My Landlord served notice

Just remember: You don't have to do anything, until a judge tells you that you have to do it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM

See here: http://www.law-faqs.org/ab/lt-out13.htm

Apparently you can serve a Notice of Objection which will nullify the termination notice. The landlord will have to apply for a court order. Also note that in this example the guy is getting evicted for having a party where the place got trashed.

If you feel like reading through a bunch of legalese, here's a link to the Alberta Residential Tenancies Act. http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Acts/R17P1.cfm
Old 10-03-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm willing to go out of my way to make this a huge pain in the ass for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is a particularly good idea, because it will add a lot of hassle to your life, too, but I'm pretty sure that it's easily done. Evicting someone -- unless you have some wacky provisions in your lease -- isn't as simple as giving them two weeks to get out.

Like I said, though, I don't think it's worth the trouble just to piss her off. Your best bet is, like others have said, to find some legal advice in your area.

-McGee
Old 10-03-2006, 05:17 PM

ok, well I called the landlord advisory board and she recommend that I do this as pleasantly as possible. From what I've been told, my eviction notice was improperly served. I'm not sure what that means as far as its validity. I guess I can get kicked out for this from what I understand.

As for as the other advice, the lady sucked. But she advised getting everything in writing - not being held to my lease, getting my damage deposit back, etc and she advised like 8 million times to be polite and pleasant.

Also, from reading on the internet, it appears I can write a rebuttal (not the correct term) to the eviction notice, which nullifys it and then she needs to go to court to evict me, which would essentially give me to the 31 im sure.

Basically, now I just want to stay for the month, find a new place to live. So I think I'm gonna call her tonight and bring these things up and tell her I can move out on the 31st.