Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Napa Valley

[ QUOTE ]
Apoc,

I agree that the Sonoma vibe is definitely less commercial than Napa (Napa has changed a lot in just the past few years) and has a ton of great wineries. I personally think Napa still has the edge, but especially on weekends, tasting in Sonoma is a lot more relaxed and fun. The only drawback is that I feel Napa has a lot more really good wineries in a pretty concentrated area, whereas the best ones in Sonoma are a little spread out. Anyhow, to your point, I rarely go to Napa on a weekend anymore, just way too crowded.

You mentioned Trentadue in Sonoma. Very close to there are Robert Young, Clos Du Bois, Stryker Sonoma, and Jordan. All places I really like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diablo,

The gf and I have done Clos du Bois and Robert Young, but haven't hit up Stryker and Jordan yet. We'll have to visit those the next time we're there. We go up as frequently as we can, so feel free to drop me a note if you're ever looking for some folks to tour around with.

Apoc
Old 09-29-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly suggest eating at Bistro Jeanty in Yountville. Also, if you're going to go to V. Sattui I think it's best if you get sandwiches at Oakville Grocery before and eat them there. But really, if you're around there, I think the best lunch is at Taylor's Refresher. Terrific burgers and shakes (I think Shake Shack is a direct copy of Taylor's).

Make sure you take a tour that does sparkling wine. Domaine Chandon is pretty good, with a good tasting after, if a little big and corporate. If you can get a tour of Shafer (by appt only) it will be well worth it. Their wines are excellent, their property is along a hill a little off the beaten path, and their dogs will greet you when you walk into their building.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taylor's Refresher is expert.

scrub
Old 09-29-2006, 03:01 PM

The views from Sterling vineyard are spectacular, and IMO their wine is quite good. There is a gondola ride to the hilltop winery and back which is also beautiful. From the winery you can see the better part of the valley as well as this nearly-completed castle that is being built across the road by some rich guy. I believe he plans to use it as a winery as well.
-w.a.