Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: NFL Week 4(YTD: 47-40-3, +51.7 units)

Good post Performify (not that that's anything new).

Assani is posting picks, with justification, and there is nothing wrong with that. I have issues with the way he is tracking the plays, but that doesn't make the handicapping thoughts any less interesting. It's his own business whether he bets the picks or not.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 PM

I must commend you that I think you've been a very good mod in all my dealings with you. Very well done.

As for the 55 unit bet, as I just said, I wouldn't have counted it if it was a typo that I had never seen. But somebody pointed it out to me, and I said that I fully intended to keep it as a 55 unit bet. I said that well before gametime. Therefore, I think that I will keep it. And for the record, that will not be my smallest bet of the year, so that will not be a huge variance issue.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I must commend you that I think you've been a very good mod in all my dealings with you. Very well done.

As for the 55 unit bet, as I just said, I wouldn't have counted it if it was a typo that I had never seen. But somebody pointed it out to me, and I said that I fully intended to keep it as a 55 unit bet. I said that well before gametime. Therefore, I think that I will keep it. And for the record, that will not be my smallest bet of the year, so that will not be a huge variance issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not the idea of u betting it before hand..its the idea that you didn't look at that game and say damn..this is a huge score--bet the house, bet everything on Tenn +11..I'm throwing 55 units on it!! etc etc

the only reason u actually bet the full 55 units instead of 5! was because your units are so small...I would not believe in a million years that if your units were $20/$50 etc that you would have bet $1000 or $2500 on Tenn

Besides that one issue...i have no problems with Assani's weekly thread
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 PM

How many units are in your roll... 5000?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SF +7 at KC, o/u 40.5
Another line that confuses me. KC has shown nothing this year. I know that they're coming off the bye week and KC is a tough place to play, but still. I'll go with SF. I like the over as we know SF can score and I think Larry Johnson will finally have a huge game. SF +7(2 units), over 40.5(2 units)

[/ QUOTE ]

I read today that SF has a few key injuries. Their new tight end is hurt and their running back? i was thinking about picking SF but now have doubts. And Larry Johnson having a huge game certainly isn't going to help either.

FWIW, thx for posting your thoughts on the games. I haven't placed my bets yet and it's nice to see opinions now that it's later in the week and the lines have moved.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The issue here is that the 55 was originally a typo, and when someone pointed it out (well before gametime, as you say) you could have just said "Oops, yeah, you're right, I meant to say 5," and then edited your post and had it as a 5 unit play. Choosing to "stick with it" as a 55 unit play unnecessarily skews its importance within your sample size, making your overall results misleading as to your actual accuracy so far this year.

Personally I would consider your results more valid if you retroactively recalculated it with that pick as a 5 pointer, rather than 55. I'm sure some people would criticize you for "going back on your play," since it seems that some people will criticize anything you do. I doubt I'm the only one, though, who would fully approve of the retroactive recalculation.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Again...the idea of placing an extra 50 units on a game when your normal wager size is 1-5 units simply based off of a typo to me says everything I need to know about how seriously you take your picks.

If you were going to wager an extra 50 units on a game, just for the hell of it,...wouldn't you choose the one you obviously felt had the biggest edge--hence u placing 8 units on it instead of the 1-5 units u placed on the other games?

Jacksonville +7 at Indy, o/u 44
Seven points is way too much here. Jacksonville showed a lot on MNF, although it was at home. Their D will not let the Colts rush the ball at all, making them very one dimensional. I expect a lower scoring affair, and I'll go ahead and predict that Jacksonville wins outright. Jacksonville +7(8 units), under 44(2 units)
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its not the idea of u betting it before hand..its the idea that you didn't look at that game and say damn..this is a huge score--bet the house, bet everything on Tenn +11..I'm throwing 55 units on it!! etc etc

the only reason u actually bet the full 55 units instead of 5! was because your units are so small...I would not believe in a million years that if your units were $20/$50 etc that you would have bet $1000 or $2500 on Tenn

Besides that one issue...i have no problems with Assani's weekly thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I would, although thats just because I'm a total idiot. As anyone who knows me can attest, when I have money I'm very loose with it and willing to gamble. Take a look at this post as an example: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again...the idea of placing an extra 50 units on a game when your normal wager size is 1-5 units simply based off of a typo to me says everything I need to know about how seriously you take your picks.

If you were going to wager an extra 50 units on a game, just for the hell of it,...wouldn't you choose the one you obviously felt had the biggest edge--hence u placing 8 units on it instead of the 1-5 units u placed on the other games?

Jacksonville +7 at Indy, o/u 44
Seven points is way too much here. Jacksonville showed a lot on MNF, although it was at home. Their D will not let the Colts rush the ball at all, making them very one dimensional. I expect a lower scoring affair, and I'll go ahead and predict that Jacksonville wins outright. Jacksonville +7(8 units), under 44(2 units)

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie, I don't disagree with you. I never claimed to be a serious sports bettor, and many many times with huge amounts of money I have gambled way over my head "just for the hell of it." This was a similar case of "eh, why not?"

I never claimed to be a super serious sports bettor, and I hope that you don't take me as such. All I want to do is discuss football and hopefully have a winning year.

You are fully correct that I bet 55 units on that game for a rather silly reason. Nevertheless, I did bet 55 units on it. I think that not counting it would be dishonest.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:45 PM

I do find it interesting btw that nobody complained about that bet until after I had won it. I let everyone know that I was betting 55 units well before that Sunday. Nobody said a word that it would skew my sample size. But then after I was successful with it, everyone comes out to say how its unfair.