Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: I have 4 books, Looking for Number 5...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Theory of Poker by Sklansky is the obvious choice here.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then get seven card stud for advanced players. That is a rocksolid awesome book, even if it is not about hold'em. Fantastic book

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing how little hype this book gets in relation to others. I kept it on my shelf for 3 years before finally reading it and about kicked my own arse for not doing it sooner.

Ranks up with there with TOP, HOH, and SSHE for books that have changed/helped my game the most.

To the OP, if you've read HOH 1 and 2, read HOH 3 next, only logical.

After that, pick up TOP.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I own (and have read, in order):
HOH 1
HOH 2
SSHE (Miller, Sklansky, Malmuth)
NLHE Theory and Practice

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good selection and progression in your poker reading. Sort of like reading the Dune Chronicles, but based on poker theory rather than sci-fi. Obviously, HOH3 is out there, but you should have started with Sklansky's Theory of Poker (we all should have). Go back and read that one before you go any further. Then when you are done, re-read HOH1 and reapply that knowledge to NLHE cash games. During your play, squeeze in 'Ace on the River'. It is not a general strategy book, but rather hints at some of the ups and downs you will face in poker. Then when you are bored with beating up the NLHE cash games, you can branch out and read books on other forms of poker.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 AM

For Limit holdem- Granted Small Stakes Holdem is the best limit holdem book for your bottom line. Every time I re-read SSHE I am blown away by how concentrated and focused the book is for extracting low limit profit.

After extensively studying Holdem on the Come, by Dew Mason/Rolf Slotbloom, I have become even stronger in limit. Holdem on the Come has taken my limit game to a skill level that I could only dream about. If you can master its modified outs and practice its procedure for the expected pot size on the river- You can spend your time classifying and reading your opponents.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM

Tournament Poker For Advanced Players by Sklansky. I haven't read it yet but I plan to soon.