Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: On my way to AC for first time. Any Advice/Suggestions/Warnings??

Yes, you buy chips at the cage in AC, with a couple of exceptions, like the shady poker "room" at Resorts.

The person at the cage doesn't care what you are playing. You can just tell them you want "$100 white" or "$500 red," etc. $1 chips are white, $5 chips are red. If you are playing a game like $6/12, you might want a mix of white and red.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you buy chips at the cage in AC, with a couple of exceptions, like the shady poker "room" at Resorts.

The person at the cage doesn't care what you are playing. You can just tell them you want "$100 white" or "$500 red," etc. $1 chips are white, $5 chips are red. If you are playing a game like $6/12, you might want a mix of white and red.

[/ QUOTE ]

So for something like 1/2 NL i should probably get a mix of red and white, but for 2/4 Fixed Limit I probably want just white?
Old 09-29-2006, 11:31 AM

If I play 1/2 NL I buy $300 all red, or 2/5 NL I buy $500 all red chips. You will get white chips back as soon as you win your first pot, or when you post your blind the dealer will make change. Remember to toke the dealer when you win the pot.

For 2/4 limit, you would just buy $100 in white (which is one rack). A general rule for limit games is to buy in for 25 BB, so $100 for a $2/4 game or $500 for 10/20, etc. For a limit game, I would think you really don't need to worry about getting both white and red chips unless you are playing $4/8 or up. Once you get to 10/20 and up, you will not be using white anymore (except for tips).
Old 09-29-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I play 1/2 NL I buy $300 all red, or 2/5 NL I buy $500 all red chips. You will get white chips back as soon as you win your first pot, or when you post your blind the dealer will make change. Remember to toke the dealer when you win the pot.

For 2/4 limit, you would just buy $100 in white (which is one rack). A general rule for limit games is to buy in for 25 BB, so $100 for a $2/4 game or $500 for 10/20, etc. For a limit game, I would think you really don't need to worry about getting both white and red chips unless you are playing $4/8 or up. Once you get to 10/20 and up, you will not be using white anymore (except for tips).

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post, thank you.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM

2high: Tru dat. 13: don't forget you can rebuy at the table. So it's ok to buy short into a limit game.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quick question. Do you buy chips at the cage in AC and not at the table? I guess I should get on a list and then go to the cage and tell them what I plan to play and how much I want to buy-in for?

[/ QUOTE ]

You buy them at the cage at most places in AC, although I've always bought them at the table at the Hilton. You can also usually buy them off other players in limit games.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:44 PM

If you're playing under 10/20, buy extra white chips. The rake will eat them up, and pretty soon nobody will have any and the dealer will be making change for everybody on every hand. Nothing's more annoying than a 2/4 game with no whites on the table.

jafager
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM

http://www.78suited.com/FirstTimeAC.html
Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 PM

I'm not sure for the Taj, but I played at the Trop last night (my first time playing live) and found it was pointless to buy any whites for 1/2 NL. I sat down my first session with $40 in white and $160 in reds and was the only person in sight with a full stack of whites. I barely used them the whole time.

Just buy in for reds, as winning pots and getting change for your blind when you need it will give you enough whites to work with.

P.S. While you're at the Trop, if you happen to see a short blond waitress, around 20ish, with a nice rack please tell her I love her. I didn't get the chance.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM

I know the Trop. The NL game (1/2 and 2/50) is pretty good and security is top notch. I've heard about people getting mugged in the bathrooms at the Taj so be wary.

You may want to try the Pinks game at the Trop (its limit with lots of action, losse players with no common sense!)