Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: The government and it\'s ever-increasing power: Can we limit it?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know the fact that the swiss are required to own automatic weapons gets you all riled up, but isn't that another form of government coersion? [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, the Swiss militia is also compulsory. And they're not allowed to use their ammunition "illegally".

But it is a pretty sweet looking gun, isn't it:

[/ QUOTE ]

The highlighted conjunction suggests that he already recognized this, and disapproves of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yahtzee! But who wouldn't want to stop by the grocery store on the way home from the firing range with an automatic weapon strapped to their back?!?!?

Part of the book, The Samurai, The Mountie, and The Cowboy discusses the Swiss gun policies.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:29 AM

ratcheting effect

gov't won't get smaller

happened when the supreme court forgot the meaning of the word 'no' and vastly expanded on the meaning of certain clauses. Apparently, most people haven't read the federalist papers.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mickey.

Learn what a sample size is.

You can't look at three countries (that happen to be highly socialized) and automatically think gee golly the welfare state must be working out for them! There are other factors in a society that influence productivity (culture, geography, resources, etc).

Also, notice that they're all behind the low-tax nation of Switzerland. Clearly, we should all start wearing Leiderhosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all I'm an american with a Swiss-Italian heritage
Let me tell you something. The swiss are the supreme race not the germans.

We make the best
1) Hot Chocolate
2) Cheese
3) Army-Knife's
4) Watches
5) Have the Best Ski Slopes
6) Best Rescue Dogs
7) Stayed out of 2 world Wars
8) Cold Chocolate

It's obvious we are better than all of YOU So we should be #1 on the list.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] heh This pisses everyone off when I tell them I'm the man [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mickey.

Learn what a sample size is.

You can't look at three countries (that happen to be highly socialized) and automatically think gee golly the welfare state must be working out for them! There are other factors in a society that influence productivity (culture, geography, resources, etc).

Also, notice that they're all behind the low-tax nation of Switzerland. Clearly, we should all start wearing Leiderhosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a Swede myself my personal hypothesis based on my expeience both traveling to other countries and also working with people of other nationalities (I work in a mutinational company) is that corruption is the key.

It's probably not a coinincidence that the same countries that have the strongest economic indicators are also very well placed in surveys such as this one that measure corruption.

Leaving out (for the moment) the moral question of goverment intervention I've come to the conclusion that the exact rules of the society (as defined by system of goverment and economy) are less important for how effective the system is, what's important is the fact that the rules are actually followed. Unfortunatly I have as of now no good answer why some countries would be less corrupt than others...

/Bjorn