Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Quick, Single Guy Meals

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone go through a REALLY simple way of cooking frozen chicken (like, a bag of 10 frozen chicken breasts).

I don't know how long to dethaw, if I can run them under cold water, how to marinade them, how to cook them... anything.

Please? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Defrost. Cut into strips. Dip into beaten eggs. Coat with breadcrumbs. Deep fry. Serve with barbecue or other sauce.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:35 AM

I wouldn't get those frozen chicken breasts. Get fresh chicken breasts and freeze them yourself in 2-3 piece portions.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:36 AM

Also, you can buy 5lb bags of flash frozen chicken breast, throw it in the freezer, and as someone said before, take 1 or 2 out the night before, and you can do all kinds of marinades with them, also, quick chicken parm w/ no breading, chicken tacos etc.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 AM

Baked fish - simple, fast, healthy

ridiculously easy (5 minute prep, 12 minute cook), no added fat, good for adding variety to your diet

tilapia filet (farm raised, relatively cheap)
lemon

cut the lemon into thick slices (3/8 of an inch)
arrange in baking pan to make a bed
salt and pepper the fish
place onto bed of lemon slices
add 1/4 inch of water to pan (so now your lemon slices are islands)
cover pan with aluminum foil

bake at 375 for about 12 minutes or until done (fish is opaque, flesh easily separates, not too tough)

do it with tilapia, and top it with your favorite salsa

or sprinkle some cumin and paprika onto the fish before poppig it in the oven

baked trout

you can also bake trout the same way, but throw a sprig of rosemary inside the fileted trout
Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 AM

To defrost meat put it in a water tight plastic bag if it isn't already sealed and submerge it in cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes or so to keep it cold, although for a bachelor sized portion it shouldn't take very long. Do not use hot water; it would be slightly faster, but not as fast as you think and it encourages bacterial growth.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to prepare meals, I have found you will end up making a trip to the store about twice a week so you can have fresh ingredients.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good thing, and probably one of the best ways to make sure you are eating a healthy diet.

If you make more frequent trips to the market (even just a produce stand) you will eat less packaged and processed food, and more fresh fruits and vegetables.

If you can manage to do this by walking or biking, all the better. (1) You're getting some exercise out of it (2) you can carry less stuff, which biases against soda, the real health killer
Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 AM

true
Old 09-26-2006, 12:48 AM

Do a search for my name, and recipe's Ive posted a ton of quick ones. Protein shakes with fresh ingredients are also great, if you make them right they really are a meal. I like to cook about a weeks worth of BBQ on sundays, and tupperware 10 or so individual meals. Meat in the fridge lasts me about 4-6 days depending on what it is (I dont know whats safe, but Ive never been sick).
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 AM

If you're really lazy, Stouffer's frozen food is excellent IMO. It's great for lunch when you don't feel like cooking something from scratch. You can also find quite a few things that aren't unhealthy as far as calories and fat (eg, their paninis).
Old 09-26-2006, 01:57 AM

Costco pot stickers are great. You put them on the stove, leave for 10 minutes, then they are done. Rice takes about as long in a rice cooker.

Also suggested were Tacoes. I used to cook a poundsof meat at a time and eat tacoes off anf on fo rthe next several days.

Also a lot of decent stuff in a crock pot recipe book. Most of them just involve dumping a pile of stuff into the pot before leaving for work.