Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Checking with a stack of chips in your hand

[ QUOTE ]

Having a "betting line" increases the moves available to an angle shooter. I have only known of two peopel that know poker that support ahving that line and I have gotten to know one of the two and realize he doesn't know the game nearly as well as I thought he did.

[/ QUOTE ]

The line just sucks. If used, it should be used at players discretion. Kind of like calling string bets.

I love watching some guys try and make some newbie keep his chips in because he mistakenly thought he was calling 1 bet when there are 2 to him. It can be repulsive to watch just how desperate these mopes are to gain any bet with their near-lock hands. It's like an angle-shoot on its own. Why it's an angle shoot, imo, is because these same idiots wouldn't call it if they didn't have that strong of a hand. If it was vulnerable, they'd be more than happy to let the guy take his bet back and fold.

Note that I have no problem in having this enforced against an A-Hole or other known angler. But for me, the newer guys get a 'get out of jail free' card.

The other thing is that it puts the dealer in a bad spot when enforcing it. They tend to get blamed for the stupid rule even though it's their job to enforce it. It just blows all ways around.

b
Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
placing the stack flat on the table over the line without letting go and often pausing for a second before he said check.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player behind him fired out a call or raise
while he had chips over the line would the first
guy have to bet?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:34 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

I didn't realize it but I check with chips in my hand all the time. I have chips in my hand doing the drop & twirl and I will move the chips back up into my palm and check with my finger tips. Usually white chips so they are usually less than a bet and I doubt anyone would interpet my actions as a bet.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:06 AM

This happened in a game I was in and after about an hour one player not paying much attention (talking to the player on the other side of her) folded her hand to the check because she thought he was betting. She got really hot over this. She scolded him for about 30 minutes.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

How is this angle really any different than if the commit line wasn't there?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The tables there have a commit line, but apparently it doesn't mean anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently OP had a "line" on the table, but not a "commit line".

If there is no "commit line" in use, then it is just an angle.
If the "commit line" is in use, then the dealer is just not enforcing the rules.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the "commit line" is in use, then the dealer is just not enforcing the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends on where you play. Some places this is dealer enforced. Other players it is player enforced. Kind of like the enforcement of string bets.

Alot of times, I think it starts out as dealer enforced, but then after alot of crap, it slides to more player enforced. Fwiw, my room started with it being player enforced. Then something happened at the big game-whiny table so they made it dealer enforced. Now it's kind of in between depending on who's dealing.

b
Old 09-22-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
placing the stack flat on the table over the line without letting go and often pausing for a second before he said check.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the player behind him fired out a call or raise
while he had chips over the line would the first
guy have to bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely, Yes.

Which is another way to take advantage of it.

b
Old 09-22-2006, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened in a game I was in and after about an hour one player not paying much attention (talking to the player on the other side of her) folded her hand to the check because she thought he was betting. She got really hot over this. She scolded him for about 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

She should be pissed at herself.

b
Old 09-26-2006, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At a 2/4L game, rules are loosely enforced at most houses.

Also, rules can vary. Some houses strictly forbid it, and count it as a bet (Mandalay Bay), while others couldn't care less. In general, though, at 2/4, most houses don't care about enforcing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard at the Venetian you get a backrub when you do this, is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was the Venetian I played they had some girl (really good looking) giving out massages for $2 a minute. One guy at the table was getting one I was cursing for about 10 minutes since it made it seem like he had a "superstar" attitude and he took FOREVER TO PLAY...

I stopped worrying about it when I realized he had $200 in chips for a $2/$4 game and well about 20 mintues before he had $400... I dropped about $500 in the hour massage and I think he feel asleep while playing or something..
Old 09-26-2006, 11:33 PM

Lots of LL mories do that, but the Luxor is probably the worst room in town so expect nothing there, but if you can stomache lots of suckouts, bad dealers and drunks, have at it, it's definitely good for that.