Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Quitting Everything

[ QUOTE ]
don't turn this into a flamewar between the health effects of weed versus cigarettes. let's just all agree that they're both bad

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. And weed's far easier to quit on physical dependency issues alone than nicotine is.

You could sidestep into nicotine gum too. Sure, it tastes horrible, but cigarettes aren't a bounty of taste anyway. That said, I've had my last cigarette for awhile. Thanks, OOT.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:21 PM

Why on earth would someone want to quit weed?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM

I would keep caffeine, weed is not hard to quit, smoking is the hard one. your brain may explode if you try all three at once, imo. Plus the caffeine keeps you fired up for the gym, which I think is key to quitting smoking. That was my experience anyway, I needed to keep one vice for sanity.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why on earth would someone want to quit weed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I have to take a drug test for my second job that I get. Plus I'm pretty broke as of late. I'm going to see how it goes for a bit. I guarantee I'll smoke again at some point. But perhaps just not every day like before.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just curious. can you tell us why you are quitting each of the three. I guess its usually kind of obvious but sometimes people have very specific reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess i'm quitting for the obvious reasons. I'd like to be healthier (or healthy in general) and gain back some energy and motivation. I used to run frequently before I started smoking cigs, and I'd like to start doing that again. Plus most chicks don't like guys who smoke, so that's a plus when I quit cigs.

I'm choosing weed first because I think it will be the easiest (not saying it will be easy). Plus when i quit smoking herb, i'll probably be more motivated to quit the others. I love love love coffee, and I'm not looking forward to quitting that, but I know I drink way too much and I should stop.

Now that I think about it I will quit coffee second, so that I can still enjoy the greatest combo ever: coffee and cigarettes....mmmmm...delicious.

Thanks for the support everyone

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, good luck.

I know some people are saying not to quit coffee because its not that bad. Thats true to a point, but if you want to start exercising more than just casually, you would be alot better off lowering your caffiene intake and get your energy and "high" from those endorphines pumping.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Have you considered a rollback on consumption amounts?

Just do like 1/10th of all three.

1 smoke a day (if you need it)
1 coffee a day
1 J a week

Much more attainable long term results, IMO.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:07 PM

Ive never been a smoker but this would be my gameplan....

1) get the patch

2) whatever method you get yoru caffiene, switch to decaf. This was hard for me... I was taking 2000mg dosses of Excedrin and drinking a [censored] load of water. It only took about a week for the head eaches to stop tho.

3) DONT quit smoking weed for like a month after you quit smoking. It could help with the oral fixation and help relax you. Weed was the easiest to quit... there were no side affects except for being slightly more motivated and not having to stress over piss tests. eventually just phase this out or you may decide without the other two that weed is okay in moderation...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:46 PM

I quit cigs and weed on the same day over five years ago. Since then, I've never relapsed, but gained pleasure from time to time rolling my own cigs and smoking without inhaling. Usuaully while drunk, because I can't stand the smell and taste anymore. GL, sir. For me, I had about 1.5ozs left when I quit and gave that to my brother and a friend along with an impressive batch of hash. I was ready to quit. My last cigarette I smoked was at Comerica Park (Detroit Tigers). The last joint was in this dumpy motel just outside of Niagra Falls.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:37 PM

This is funny for me to read because I've finally started regularly smoking weed again (after a 10 month hiatus) but I'm trying to cut back / quit a few of my other vices, specifically cigarettes and cocaine.

I spent the weekend in Austin for Austin City Limits music festival and I did so much walking around in the sun that I got more exercise and was more detoxified than I think I'd ever been. I didn't even want to smoke cigarettes after that. (Of course, last night I ran into a high school friend and we partied and all of that quickly got out of hand again.)

But in general, drink lots of water, and (especially) exercise, and you really won't WANT to smoke cigarettes anymore. They all take some time and persistence, though, but it can be done.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:18 PM

It took me several tries to quit smoking. I got some patches for free by calling 411 in NY. I quit maybe 4 or 5 times using the patch. Each quit lasted about 3-10 days. Then in January I quit cold turkey and have been smoke free ever since. I would suggest the patch, because once you have the patch on, you don't really want to smoke.

You have to really want to quit to do it. I hated being a smoker and I smoked way too much. If I could smoke 5 cigarettes a day, I probably wouldn't have bothered quitting. But my smoking was really affecting my quality of life, so it ended up not being all that difficult to quit. I just love being a non-smoker now for a million different reasons. It's good to keep reminding yourself of all the good things that happen when you are a non-smoker.

I can't imagine spending the rest of my life without weed so I can't comment on that.