Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2006, 02:33 AM

Default Re: ***Official HSP Thread 9/18/06***

You people misunderstand Daniel. He is not a payoff wizard, he is not intent on looking up everyone, he is just "paying for information," like Normad Chad says!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:55 AM

I'm watching this on TiVo (or whatever the Cox Cable equivalent of TiVo is (DVR?)) and I find that this episode is simply confirming/reinforcing the assumptions i already had about DN, and Eli's play compared to the rest of the game.

I will save judgement on Juanda, Lindgren, Grey a few of the others but in particular Barry G and Phil Laak's play have impressed me greatly. I know Phil Laak is actually a NLH cash game player while the others aren't really and BG used to play almost exclusively NLH if I remember his book correctly. Meanwhile DN is calling everything and Eli is just...bad...I don't know that their play is defendable, and I think DN and/or Eli would be devastated in Phil Laak's normal game (the 20/40 or 25/50 NL game at the Commerce).

If anything is incoherent I apologize as I am nearing my wit's end. I really shouldnt be up but if you've heard The Circuit or Phil Laak in any interview you'll know what I mean when I say "It's sick!"
Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's got to be running something like 90/50

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. And hold on while I add DN to my budy list... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2006, 03:12 AM

I think Daniel's call with the JJ is pretty defensible. Daniel knows Barry, and Barry knows Daniel. JJ is pretty high in Daniel's range there, and Barry's tight image could easily lead him to resqueezing with something that JJ beats pretty easily there. Barry is for sure capable of that move; I was thinking even before action got to him that someone from the blinds should reraise this hand.

On the other hand, I don't get his call with T7 hi on the flop only to call the turn and fold the river. I think if you are calling the flop and turn there, you should consider bluff-raising the river. Eli has bet down light (though he has paid off ridiculously light too), so a bluff-raise may have been profitable there. I think you have to do SOMETHING after you just call with T hi on the flop otherwise you're just burning money not even being creative.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 AM

It isn't like BG had reraised only 50k, he had 80k, almost a full buy in and over 100BB. I agree JJ is WAY WAY WAY up there in DN's range, and BG actually knows how to play NLH so I agree he is capable of making that move with less than JJ, but I have to imagine, and this could be way off, that BG's range is 77+ and AJ+. I don't want to run the numbers but DN can't be better than 50/50 can he?

Another thing to consider though is the fact that we haven't seen many of the hands played. We see about 15/episode and they're playin ~30/hr I'd imagine. It would be interesting to compare BG's stack ~80k to what he had when we last were aware of it to see how much he'd been playing. If Eli wasn't full of [censored] about BG only playing 1 hand in 3 hours then I doubt we're missing much of the picture, and DN is just bad...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:11 AM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
have this feeling daniel is tilting

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts?!? Clearly Daniel has spent this entire season playing a larger meta game to insure that in future big stakes games no one ever bluffs him.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:20 AM

The commentators keep mentioning (as have the players a couple times) that Barry's playing really tight. Is this just editing? Does anyone think that maybe Barry is playing out-of-style because he doesn't want to show too much of his play to these guys? Or is it other considerations (including editing)?
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 AM

Why are people criticizing Laak's criticism of Negreanu? He was right. That was an awful call.

NO LESSONS AT THE POKER TABLE! somebody should of yelled that out or something better like "STOP GIVING THE DONKEY POKER LESSONS" and laugh it off like it's just a joke.

"live 50-100 nl is so easy. i swear i could beat it w/out ever looking at my cards."

-Daniel Negreanu

sometimes i wonder if he was really trying to play w/out looking at his cards but too ashamed to admit it cuz he kept losing big. lollolol
Old 09-19-2006, 08:49 AM

Not gonna lie, I used to think Phil Laak was an enormous douchebag (from his WPT appearances), but after HSP, he seems like a really cool guy.

I kind of felt bad for him when the cool kids were talking down to him towards the end of the episode.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't that bad. BG must have been doing this. I heard David Grey saying something like I'd move in if I were BG when facing a raise from DN. It could be BG had a run of cards AK/AA etc, but he's got to have an image of pushing light. DN must have a read that there's a good chance he's either dominating or racing.

Also, it seems kinda offensive to other players if you criticize their play. Those high stakes pros talk about lotta stuff but they rarely criticize others' play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you need to watch some episodes again. Seems Danny Boy has no reservation whatsoever criticizing Matusow's play