Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: Curiosity about your progress

I started at the NL sit and go tournaments like most other people I would imagine. I picked up WLLH and started playing the limit cash games and found it suited me a lot better. I was playing mostly .10/.20 - .25/.50 and was breaking even taking the Lee Jones weak tight advice. When I read SSH and applied its concepts correctly I started to crush these games and was able to move up to .50/1. I have played a few thousand hands at 1/2 and did OK considering I got crushed in the first two thousand hands. Now I am playing .5/1 6max.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
picked up WLLH and started playing the limit cash games and found it suited me a lot better. I was playing mostly .10/.20 - .25/.50 and was breaking even taking the Lee Jones weak tight advice. When I read SSH and applied its concepts correctly I started to crush these games and was able to move up to .50/1.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is funny to me because I was winning well after reading LLH* but when got SSH I initially misapplied the alot of it and spewed BB.

*although when I was a LLH man I was also reading here heaps so I probably was already playing less weaktight than LLH. SSH just tipped the scales a wee bit too far the other way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 01:41 AM

Hadn't had much interest in poker until about a year ago, around when I discovered that a work colleague was making some serious cash playing poker. Around March this year I deposited $50 on Stars. That was pretty much that maximum that my wife would let me get away with (promise: if I go bust, I'm done).

I didn't really know much about playing good poker, but on the advice of my poker playing friend picked up SSHE. Managed a downswing to $30, from which I slowly recovered playing .01/.02 (learning, learning) then to .02/.04, then .05/.10, then .10/.20, then, when I got to $75 in my account, moved up to .25/.50, where I've played the majority of my poker.

Fluctuated quite a bit, managed to get up to around $250 briefly, and donked quite a bit away at forays in .50/1 6-max (can't believe how many suck outs I lost to there). Dropped down to $75 again, reread SSHE (again), and slowly clawed my way back up over $200 (this is like within the last couple of months).

I wasn't really too aware of bonus whoring and rakeback until fairly recently. A few months back I opened a Party account with $50 to get a free copy of PokerOffice, but that only netted me a small deposit bonus. With the bigger bankroll, I was considering pursuing a bigger bonus. Just in the last week I pulled out my bankroll from Party and Stars and deposited to Paradise for a $100 bonus; I'm half-way through clearing that and my BR is now almost $500 playing 0.50/1, so I'm quite happy. I think that I'll be doing more in the way of bonuswhoring in the short-term; seems like a lucrative way to build a BR.

So far I'm a profitable player at most levels that I've played, over roughly 60,000 hands (the exceptions are my 6-max and higher limit NL forays, though my NL play is improving, and I'm getting better at 6-max, I think). With my current BR I'm mostly sticking to .50/1 full ring games. I should be able to push up to 1/2 within the next month, I think.

What about motivations? I'd be interested to hear why people play. What attracted me was probably the lure of money, but the game itself is quite interesting to me, in many many ways, and quite a lot of fun in its own right. But, my goals are generally to continue building the BR and profit from the whole endeavour; not sure if I'd play as much or be as focused on improving if there wasn't that profit carrot in front of me... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 AM

Deposited $30 Feb 2006 on Stars and started with .02/.1. I slowly moved up in levels and basically followed the first few steps of Wookie's bankroll building post. I played 20k hands .25/.5 on different sites where you can clear bonuses at that level, 14k hands .5/1 on different sites. In late August I started to mix the occational 1/2 table in and got crushed over the first 1.5k hands (mainly due to terrible luck, however, but bad play also was involved).

In september I was looking for a new site to bonus whore and decided to give a crypto site a shot. I was [censored] when I found out that nobody at crypto played .5/1 and reluctantly started to play exclusively 1/2 (and by now I haven't regretted it; I think I learn to play poker better, playing almost exclusively against TAG's, sLAG's, and rocks).

I've played several SnG's and am about even at them. MTT's I only play freerolls, so I'm >0 there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Recently I started to play NL10 but I don't know yet if that's my game.

Plans for the future: When I'm comfortable at 1/2 and have shown to be able to win there I want to give 2/4 a shot, maybe in October if I run good. I also want to play a bit 6max, but I don't know if i could stand the variance.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 AM

Reged: 02/12/03

wow

good luck
Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 02/12/03

wow

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol and I thought I was a lurker.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:43 AM

My first couple bankrolls came from B&M donkament wins.

Yes, "first couple". I went BUSTO twice, the third time I've won it all back and been in the black ever since, even after several "emergencies" that have forced me to spend parts of my br. Been playing almost 2 years now, have probably played almost every form of poker available to me although the only serious money has been from LHE and spread limit HE (in the local B&Ms), with some donkament wins thrown in. Currently taking shots at 5/10 full which I'm pretty sure I'll be able to beat.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:09 AM

started off at 1/2 FR limit, and made like $200 in a 1.000 hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] lost that quickly again and dropped back to 0,5/1 FR for 15k hands for about 2 BB/100 and a lot of bonus clearing. Back to 1/2 FR for more bonuses and b/e play for about 10 k hands. Over to 1/2 6-max and lost 200 BB in 3 k hands, ouch. Switched down to 0,5/1 6 max to find a basic short ring play for 10 k hands. It worked fine and I'm currently doing ok at 1/2 6 max. The plan is to move to 2/4 6-max as soon as I'm confident enough, it will probably take another 10 k hands or so. I will probably never play FR again except for 4-tabling bonuses. I've been playing poker for 18 months and have approx 40k hands.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:11 AM

First depostied one year ago. Played $5+.5 SnGs for break even, $5+.5 MTTs for 0% ROI (never cashed), and $25NL for slow decline for about 5 months. Read SSHE and devoted myself to LHE.

30k hands at .15/.30, crushed the game. 25k hands at .25/.50, crushed the game. Cashed out my initial deposits and have played on winnings since. 10k hands at .5/1, and was a loser.

Now I mix it up from .25/.50, .50/1, 1/2, and 2/4. Another 10k hands at each and I've leveled off at .25/.50, finally came back to even at .50/1, very slight winner at 1/2, and a loser at 2/4.

I've also mixed it up a little at 3/6 live poker, but I'm a big loser (probably 1200 hands now).

I'm at a crossroads. This week my second 200BB downswing is in the books. I need to break it soon! If I drop another 200BB I will be back to grinding .25/.50, which I had hoped I was done with.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:16 AM

It's interesting that a lot of us started at $50 bucks with the same old...don't lose it or we are done from family. I have been playing about 20 months studying on my own (apparently not very enlightening as I came up with a rather unorthodox style)

I was moving up very fast, killing most levels lost half my profit at 5/10 in about 3 hours and am in the middle of recovering from that now.

I withdrew every nickel I spent on poker with books and software purchases ($600) plus my initial $50 dollars so I essentially started again with 8 dollars remaining in my account. Now I am at $500 dollars profit again (down 100 this month sadly)

Working on my listening skills, my patience and bouncing around all over the place like I normally do to try and keep losses down to a minimum when I am running bad.

Games are so tight now at the micros with the rake its very tough to pull ahead. If I had a bankroll I would skip up to 3/6 in a minute.

If I ever get the $160 bucks remaining in bonus money from UB I will ask you guys where to go next. Pretty well have to play 6 max to make the whoring worth it at UB.

I get to play around 3 to 5k hands a month so its been a very slow build process. It's a real pain that I have no money to deposit at PS for the reload just announced.

$2/4 seems the lowest limit worth trying to clear from there now with their new rake so I guess its not a big loss afterall.