Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: new \"pal\" tells you to save your money

[ QUOTE ]
I have ben sitting next to and chatting it up with a nice guy for the about 5 hours in a tournament at the Borgata. He is the chip leader at our table and has almost three times as many chips as me and I am just below average. He comes in for a standard raise in late position and I call in the CO with AA. He looks at me after I call and I shrug b/c we have been friendly and now we are going to play a pot together. I tell him I am going to outflop him and he says you are going to have to b/c he has the best hand. We see a flop of KQJ rainbow and he bets just more than half the pot into me (and the BB that called). I call after some contemplation and the BB folds. The turn is a low blank (4 I think) and my new pal moves all in and says saves your money I have you beat. Do you believe him? I have 2,900 invested with about 5,700 behind and the pot is about 7,000. I try and inquire further about his hand but he shuts up and only says that he has been ahead all along. He does not know that I have AA and I believe that he believes that he was ahead pre-flop. I thought this was a very tough decision. Poker players are born liars and I am hesitant to believe them even if we have been "friendly".

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe that he believed he had the best hand all along. We beat AK and that's all really.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM

i dont understand why everyone is agonizing about this

he's not pushing 99 on the turn.

he's PROBABLY not even push AK/TT on the turn.

every now and then we're ahead of some random bluff -- that doesn't make up for the overwhelming majority of the time that we're way behind KQ, KJ, KK/QQ/JJ. people aren't going to slowplay on this board, especially not when they consider you their "pal." just fold.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess this is a case of different ways people play at given stages of tournies.

[/ QUOTE ]Exactly- which is why calling here is not "bad"- it's just different. We all have to think about whether raising or calling works into our overall stragety and our willingness to gamble (and calling is more of a gamble here), and then make the decision that works best for us and our style of play.

If OP folded here, then his flat call most likely actually saved his tournament life, but the truth is that calling is more of a risk than raising. But such is poker.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM

lol yeah he is shoving tt here obviously, after you called the flop with only three overcards on the board. anyway,

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand why everyone is agonizing about this

he's not pushing 99 on the turn.

he's PROBABLY not even push AK/TT on the turn.

every now and then we're ahead of some random bluff -- that doesn't make up for the overwhelming majority of the time that we're way behind KQ, KJ, KK/QQ/JJ. people aren't going to slowplay on this board, especially not when they consider you their "pal." just fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-12-2006, 04:07 PM

wiat are you using the sarcasm on me [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM

no sry, edited
Old 09-12-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about believing in playing your hand properly first :-D?

Argun

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? Anything but ABC is not "properly". I find this funny.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell did you cold call this preflop? Look at the tough spot you are in now. Fold because you are most likely beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had been playing fairly tight and would not expect to get action if I re-raised. I wanted action and I got it. And yes, I am in a tough spot. It happens sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this way you may get the action YOU DO NOT WANT. You will still get action from the hands you WANT to stay in - AK, AQ, pairs... Also - if your re-raises get so much respect - re-steal, man, re-steal!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell did you cold call this preflop? Look at the tough spot you are in now. Fold because you are most likely beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had been playing fairly tight and would not expect to get action if I re-raised. I wanted action and I got it. And yes, I am in a tough spot. It happens sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but this way you may get the action YOU DO NOT WANT. You will still get action from the hands you WANT to stay in - AK, AQ, pairs... Also - if your re-raises get so much respect - re-steal, man, re-steal!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

there arent a lot of details in the OP, but its hard to be consistently doing this when you're shortstacked. sometimes you just havce to tighten up and wait for hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If OP folded here, then his flat call most likely actually saved his tournament life, but the truth is that calling is more of a risk than raising. But such is poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you chastized me for being results oriented! Read the sarcasim.

BTW When I said why the hell did you flat call, I did not say it was bad I was really trying to get OP thought process. He said he wanted action and he got it, he seamed OK with that so for him it was what he wanted. I guess I still try to gain as much info as I can for post/later street play as I can, and it costs me $$ sometimes. Thats why these discussions are worth while.