Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Drugs and Poker

...That'll age you like war...

This made me laugh hard.

If you smoke reefer all the time then I think the benefit at the table will be less. For me it takes me a little bit out of my ordinary thought process and makes me act a little bit different than normal. I think this screws up people's reads to some extent because they are not seeing the normal me.

I have found that smoking at the start of the session is best so that as my mental state changes so does my game, as well--usually for the better.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Iv only done crystal once iv heard too much bad stuff about it to try it again even though the money would be nice.
Sour Patchs after a joint would be nice right now... awww
Old 09-24-2006, 10:58 PM

I read that SSRIs like Paxil used to treat depression and anxiety decrease the urge to gamble.

This probably leads to not taking shots as much, not tilting in a way that you take large gambles and not being as aggro. It could decrease your urge to play though.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 PM

I think that actually what you are talking about is that there has been a good deal of success using anti-depressants to treat compulsive and addictive behavior. For example using them to treat someone with a gambling addiction. From what I remember reading, I don't believe it necessarily decrease the gamble in you, just the compulsiveness.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:17 AM

playing poker on cocaine is not only the best i have ever played but also improved my game so much in one session just because of the level of thought that coke allows one to achieve. and you can alleviate the feeling like [censored] after 15 minutes thing by having enough coke for the whole night and enough weed for the come down. =)
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
playing poker on cocaine is not only the best i have ever played but also improved my game so much in one session just because of the level of thought that coke allows one to achieve.

[/ QUOTE ] It is rare that one encounters in 2+2 so much concentrated, false and dangerous information in a single thread as in this one.

Mickey Brausch
Old 09-25-2006, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
playing poker on cocaine is not only the best i have ever played but also improved my game so much in one session just because of the level of thought that coke allows one to achieve. and you can alleviate the feeling like [censored] after 15 minutes thing by having enough coke for the whole night and enough weed for the come down. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way, but I use heroin for the come-down instead
Old 09-25-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way, but I use hookers for the come-down instead

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-25-2006, 01:21 PM

Drugs improve poker playing? Uh oh---looks like they are gonna have to start screening all World Series of Poker Player's urine.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Back in the 70s, I had a totally gnarly run in with some amphetamines. While I was on them, I figured I was doing the best programming of my life. When I came down, I figured that was just the drugs speaking. Then, I went back and re-read my drug-induced programming, and discovered that my original assessment was indeed correct. It was some of the best work I'd done to date.

Not surprising, given how amphetamines work.

The problem in all of this was the drug induced psychosis and related issues that followed. I wasn't doing such good work when that set in.

Decades later, I'm taking SSRIs. Can't really say how it affects my play, because I've been taking them for so long, and if I wasn't taking them, I might well never get up enough energy to even play online.