Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Need a Fall New England Trip Suggestion

Al-

Simon's Rock has offered a BA course of study almost since its inception. It is true that the majority (around 2/3) of students get an AA and transfer, but the school is focusing more and more on its BA program as well. FWIW I feel I got as good of an undergraduate education as one can in the US, although it wasn't cheap.

Tenn -
Good stuff. Did you just live in North Adams during your studies? I like it up there, not so swingin as south county but cheaper and there is a lot of space and cool old mills.

OP -

Good choice. Let me know where you are thinking of going and I can provide recommendations or put you in touch with some folks.

NT
Old 09-09-2006, 01:29 AM

NT,

Simon's rock is the school that offers 16 year olds a chance to just skip HS and go to college, right?

J
Old 09-09-2006, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

Simon's rock is the school that offers 16 year olds a chance to just skip HS and go to college, right?

J

[/ QUOTE ]

correct... most come after 10th grade
Old 09-09-2006, 01:36 AM

NT,

How bad was HS that you just decided to up and leave? I couldn't imagine doing that.

J
Old 09-09-2006, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

How bad was HS that you just decided to up and leave? I couldn't imagine doing that.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

jay,

short answer, pretty bad.

i was bored out of my skull, didn't get along with most of my classmates, was getting into a fair amount of trouble, sleeping through class, etc. honestly, if i hadn't quit for college i probably would have dropped out or barely graduated. and not to toot my own horn, but i was a very sharp student (graduated magna cum laude with three majors from SRC).

i often asked myself if i had cheated myself out of two years of high school. being an upperclassman, partying, then going to a more normal college. when i visited my old friends i felt very strongly that i hadn't. i mean, i was in a house on my own when i was 17, working full time throughout the school year, having a great time, and actually engaging my mind. i look at the time i skipped as two extra years i had to figure out what i really like and want to do.

there are a lot of people that are perfectly happy in high school, i just wasn't one of them. to each his own.

NT
Old 09-09-2006, 08:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the replies. I think we are going to try the Berkshires since neither of us have been there. The Old Inn looks great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Massachusetts and while the Berkshires are okay there's no comparison to Vermont in the Fall.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tenn -
Good stuff. Did you just live in North Adams during your studies? I like it up there, not so swingin as south county but cheaper and there is a lot of space and cool old mills.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only went for one summer semester and one year of school before I dropped out. But yeah, I lived in NA. It's a cute little town. It's got that Mass MoCa which was cool. Def. not much to do at all. But I had probably the best year of my life out there. We'd walk around and take pictures or long drives around the valley. Honestly there is nothing prettier than the Berkshires w/ the leaves changing color. Nothing.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. great to go to in the off-season.