Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Re: OT: Thinking about playing \"professionaly\"

Edit: I should preview my posts, to make sure the quote gets put in. Suzzer is right on, if you cant spell cart, you shouldn't quit school.

My thoughts exactly. Chart boy? I thought you worked in an office. Also, you say you have no leaks that you can recognize, but can only handle 2 tables? My guess is you have leaks you just don't want to find them. Also, don't have on 6.25, 2tabling 11s will give you a whopping 5 dollars an hour with a 20% ROI. Cart Attendant is a relatively good job for a high school kid, your outside, walking around, and don't have a lot of actual work to do.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:10 PM

If you quit your job to play "professionally" you will almost certainly go broke. I say this because you seem to have no clue what you're talking about if you think you'd be able to play professionally and make more than 6.25 by 2 tabling 11s. You probably will be hit by variance and go crawling back to your job. So actually yeah, now that I think about it, go try this out so you can learn your lesson cheaply and early on.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:15 PM

I say go for it man. Ish is fun. If it doesn't work out, continue on with school like a normal kid. It's not much different from taking a year off to go to Europe, though it's far less rewarding imo (unless you get good and become a gajillionaire from it).
Old 01-25-2006, 07:20 PM

I say go for it. I started out young and I think it has worked out very well for me. Treat it as a hobby, but stay disciplined. Don't gamble with many you can't afford to lose and don't let it take over your life. I also want to assure you that you have many many leaks. Work on your game and have some fun. and absolutely stay in school.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:22 PM

As a young kid who dropped out of college, and have played "professionally" for about a year... at least to the extent that I have supported myself on poker alone (the cause-effect is odd here. I didn't quit college to play poker. I quit college because I had absolutely no direction, and thus couldn't stand it... poker just kinda happened) I want to discourage this as much as possible, especially if your goal is to make a career out of it. If you quit your job, quit it because it sucks and you want to be a lazy high school student, not because you want to play poker.

I was one of the "lucky ones" in that I was able to keep a level head through the bad times, and the good times. I thought I had it made. Everything was "hunky doory" until the burnout set in. A bit of poker burnout, and a bit of my general attitudes toward life turning south.. I've still been reasonably successful and I haven't really had financial problems, but I'm underwhelming by the amount of glitz, the amount of glamour, and the amount of sexy, high-powered, elite hollywood party invites.

Just keep it as a hobby. When you're good enough to "go pro," you'll almost undoubtedly know it without resorting to asking a bunch of strangers... and by that time you'll probably have a much better idea whether or not it's the life for you.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM

Oh man, suzzer beat me to the "chart" fun. Post deleted...
Old 01-25-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you weren't absolutely certain that you were going to get flamed for this post, stick to being a cart-jockey.

[/ QUOTE ]To be fair to the OP, knowledge of the "internet poker-forum tolerance for going pro posts" is not necessarily correlated with his ability to do so. I'll let his post speak to that.Oh, and to the other poster who said that 2 tabling the 11s should make hime more than 6.25 an hour, I doubt it...even if he were a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]Aw, but he's a "journeyman", plus "cart-jockey" is funny.Yeah, to the OP, just kidding. Do as thou wilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, "cart-jockey" is pretty funny actually. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am so sick of that job that i need a few months off(i am a chart kid making 6.25 an hour).

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
to picture my job take a shoping chart walk 100 feet foward and then walk 100 feet back, do this about 5000 times and then u get 120 bucks, pretty gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, for God's sake, go back to school until you can at least spell shopping and CART. WTF? Who misspells cart? I had to read this several times to figure out what the hell you were talking about. I thought they had you making charts in Excel all day or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD!
Old 01-25-2006, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, for God's sake, go back to school until you can at least spell shopping and CART. WTF? Who misspells cart?

[/ QUOTE ]
You skipped to those? This one from the first line[ QUOTE ]
hey everybody, i am going to provide alot of

[/ QUOTE ]
seems even more basic. Of course, this one was easier to figure out.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say go for it. I started out young and I think it has worked out very well for me. Treat it as a hobby, but stay disciplined. Don't gamble with many you can't afford to lose and don't let it take over your life. I also want to assure you that you have many many leaks. Work on your game and have some fun. and absolutely stay in school.

[/ QUOTE ]

To pick up on what Bona was saying, saying you have no leaks is a leak in itself.