Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 4 v. 5 Eastern juggernaut vs. instrumental showcase
Kashmir 26 50.00%
Dazed and Confused 26 50.00%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Default Re: KK raise from blind to $500

Man...thats deep Dan. When I grew up, I wanna be just like you.. Do thumbrings come in Jr-sizes? I want to start early.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: KK raise from blind to $500

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your raise looks like an obvious squeeze, he should 4-bet here with less than AA to counter that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. But aren't there better ways to take advantage of someone squeezing too much? 4-betting as a defense against a squeeze is basically a bluff. Are all situations in poker exploited by betting air? Isn't it sufficient to call with a higher % than you would against a non-squeezer - if he even is squeezing in the first place?

I ususally fold in situations like this. Do you play QQ/AK like that? If you don't, you're already punishing him when you have AA, which should be 50% of the time he pulls that move (if it isn't, it's because he only does it with hands with an ace, in which case he'll always have reasonable equity - reasonable compared to if he has an underpair - if you decide to play ball). Just because it COULD be a bluff doesn't mean you have to pay every time..

[/ QUOTE ]

With hands like AK/QQ/JJ, playing OOP against a suspected squeezer can be pretty tough. 4-betting with these hands, while high-variance, may be a better way out than folding or calling, especially against opponents who are likely to squeeze a wide range. This of course is with standard-sized stacks. With deep stacks, calling is better.

It also gives you the leeway to 4-bet hands like AA and KK more freely in these situations, although they don't come up often enough to really be very significant to metagame.