Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Things poker has made you so mad you SMASHED

I've half broken my mouse. By this i mean I've swung it from the cord and knocked it into some walls. When this happened, the mouse was all messed up and was sort of split open. I had to operate on the mouse and it is now working. Unfortunately its now missing the scrol wheel.

Some of you here are most certainly rageaholics. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "I'm a Rageaholic! I just can't live without Rageahol!"
Old 09-01-2006, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LCD on laptop = $180 bucks + cable $23 + repair bill $50 ...wiping that smirk off your laptop's fxcking face: Priceless.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-01-2006, 02:59 AM

Every once in a while I'd punch my monitor or throw some empty cup or something on my computer desk. One day I threw my cellphone up against the wall and broke it.

Me, my two brothers and my Dad all had problems with getting too angry and throwing things. We were also a bunch of competive SOBs from sports to video games. After I broke my cellphone a lightbulb went off in my head and thought "This is retarded, throwing something isn't going to accomplish anything." In truth, it makes you more dependent on releasing your anger through physical actions. After an arguement with my parents I punched a whole in my wall (that was when I was a even skinnier weak 16 year old).

There is no reason to do it. None. Just close your eyes, count to ten, and remmeber that as long as your gambling, variance will inevitably be a bitch at times. No reason to throw a hissy fit every time it does.

Since then I've rarely ever done anything like that. Sometimes I'll get the urge to, and I just try to shut it out. If I can't, I'll sit out of my tables, go outside and play some b-ball, or call some friends and/or get something to eat. It's not a matter of holding in (like in the movie Anger management) it's just a matter of not being angry about. Sort of a "it happens, deal with it" attitude. If there is one thing you hould take out of poker, it's that being angry won't solve anything, in fact most the time it makes things worse.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:08 AM

I think a lot of competative folks get angry easier than most.
I believe I'm much better at just letting it go than I used to be...but I still do get angry sometimes.

I'd like to continue to get better control in two places:
1. Heading off the anger before it manifests.
2. Once I'm angry, being able to calm myself down quickly and effectively.

#2 seems harder for me. Once angry, I'm tilted, and getting perspective can be nearly impossible for a while (5 sec. or 5 hrs.)
That's why I started embracing my own "scream" therapy. Top of the lungs, F-word city. Feels great. No lie.
Another angle that works for me is turning my anger on my anger. As soon as I get angry, I decide I'm angry at being angry. Actually, I guess I've tried to decide ahead time that my anger is and should be the source AND focus of my anger. This idea works for me, it defuses my anger, and helps me laugh at my anger for what it is. The little kid inside me throwing a tantrum for not getting what he wants....and the mental picture of this is funny.

Goodluck all you smashers...keep the funny post coming.

If all else fails, go to a thrift store and buy some good "smash-ables". Cheesy figurines, black and white TVs, plates, dishes, old commodore computers, etc. Then smash these instead of your good working stuff. It's fun. Works great if your place has a fireplace, which the perfect place to hurl a plate or two.
On a tangent, I spent a good part of college drunk and throwing old TV's off of bridges unto railroad tracks. Fun stuff.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:27 PM

I've broken two wireless mice. For some reason, I like to slam things on my desk as opposed to punching things.

My gf says I say the phrase "you mutherf*cker" a lot when I play poker.

The funny thing is that I don't get mad at an opponent, but the anger goes somewhere. If I do get mad at anyone, it's at myself for making a bad play because I'm a retard.

Either way, breaking stuff is stupid. It's a bad habit of mine that I've had long before poker (my old NES controllers were the first to get the brunt of the force as a kid). Guess I should get a good workout routine going again and get it out there.

I guess I hate losing too much.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Ive always thought ive had the worst anger management problem in all of humanity. Perhaps embarassing myself by writing this out well help me chill the [censored] out

So Ive...

Destroyed a laptop
A 20" flat panel monitor
put numerous holes in walls
A mirror
gone to the emergency room because ive kicked a wall so hard I coulnt walk
moved all in every hand continuously until I went busto (I do this routinely)

Some sports tilt below

Ive also broken every single club in my golf bag one round.
Ripped apart many greens.
Thrown a few putters into lakes.
Ive been kicked out of numerous atheltic competitions

Interestingly enough Ive never gotten in a physical fight with anyone and am generally a nice guy.

Do I win, because I lose alot?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:05 PM

i have two things I smash.

those brightly colored plastic tumblers from Target that are "sweatless" because they have two layers to them. They smash against my stone wall very nicely.

Also, I have about five $19 keyboards in my closet, because I know sooner or later I'll smash my fist on the keyboard in front of me HARD, making all the key fly up and scatter.

It's good therepy because I then have to crawl around the floor, finding the keys and fitting them back into the keyboard. It calms me down.

When I can't find all the keys, out comes a new keyboard!
Old 09-01-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's good therepy because I then have to crawl around the floor, finding the keys and fitting them back into the keyboard. It calms me down.

When I can't find all the keys, out comes a new keyboard!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thats hilarous!

I NEARLY smashed my mouse today after having lost all day long and getting rivered on a guge pot by a crazy moron. Nothing destroyed so far exept a br at pbj but I think that doesn't count exactly as 'smashed' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 PM

I had 10 coffee cups. I now have 5.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:13 AM

I'm waiting for the day that I break my hand on my desk. I'm also a fan of flinging old, out of service cell phones across my room. Something about the battery pack flying off the phone when it hits the wall is satisfying...