Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Mark Vos: Class Act

So it's entirely possible Mark is a nice guy who is willing to "finish it" if he thinks someone has started it.
I am still baffled as to how cheap shots are seen as finishing it.
I did enjoy the anecdote though.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Davood's special - true.

In the 10k PLO tourney @ the WSOP I was 2 to the right of Hellmuth. I came just under an hour late. Blinds were still 25/50 I think. There were 3 or 4 limpers and I raised to 150 with AK89 double suited on the button. Hellmuth called, and from the big blind and the other limpers called. The flop came AT9 rainbow, checked to me, bet 425. Hellmuth calls. Turn is a 4. Check, I bet 1125, Hellmuth rants, "ace king's no good in this game buddy" and calls. The river is a 5, he checks, I check behind. He looks over at me, I show AK89, he rants, "this isn't holdem, raising with AK?!!" and turns over AK showing what he called with and mucks. Haha... so anyway we get a back and forth going and he tells me how good he is. Fun stuff. It gets a little heated and he ends up apologising, I accept and he is silent for a couple of minutes till he busts. Then Davood takes his seat. Sits down with an opening line of "Phil Ivey was drawing dead on my last table, it was too good, he had no chance". Then tells me he is the best omaha player in the world. The ESPN camera crew was at hand, and hopefully this makes it.... I said "so you're the best player in the world?". He says "yes, ask anyone I am the best". I then say "that's funny, that's the second time we've had the best player in the world in that seat today".

:-)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is obviously all a fabrication. No way Phil is there under 3 hours before start of a 10k.

Either way, I like the cut of your jib, sir. Good on.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:10 PM

I've hung out with him once or twice (ok, it was prior to his win). He's a decent bloke.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 AM

Im close with a couple people who met Mark Vos in the last year. It's funny, now that i think about it there has been a very clear evolution in how one of them refers to him. It was originally "i know this great player from australia" to most recently "that guy mark is an arrogant homosexual". My buddy knows i don't know mark at all, so he must really dislike him for him to vent to me so much to me about someone we don't know in common.

but i do know stu, and it's pretty ridiculous what mark said to him. People needle each other all the time, but to take it to such a low lever is definitely in poor form not to mention he's endorsed by the site where he's playing and spewing chat trash.

-ebo
Old 08-30-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im close with a couple people who met Mark Vos in the last year. It's funny, now that i think about it there has been a very clear evolution in how one of them refers to him. It was originally "i know this great player from australia" to most recently "that guy mark is an arrogant homosexual ".

but i do know stu, and it's pretty ridiculous what mark said to him. People needle each other all the time, but to take it to such a low lever is definitely in poor form not to mention he's endorsed by the site where he's playing and spewing chat trash.

-ebo

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean taking it to such a low level as, say, making fun of someone's sexuality?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im close with a couple people who met Mark Vos in the last year. It's funny, now that i think about it there has been a very clear evolution in how one of them refers to him. It was originally "i know this great player from australia" to most recently "that guy mark is an arrogant homosexual ".

-ebo

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean taking it to such a low level as, say, making fun of someone's sexuality?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he making fun?

I just read that as a description.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ebo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he making fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do people mention others' sexuality when just describing them? 'That Gavin Smith sure is a humorous heterosexual.' 'Greg Raymer? Oh yeah, that heterosexual can play!'
Old 08-30-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-ebo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How is he making fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Do people mention others' sexuality when just describing them? 'That Gavin Smith sure is a humorous heterosexual.' 'Greg Raymer? Oh yeah, that heterosexual can play!'

[/ QUOTE ]

Note the part I bolded in the original text--Bolvia was merely reporting on the way someone else's characterization changed over time.

Don't be so sensitive, next time bolivia will write: "'mark is an arrogant homosexual' (not that there's anything wrong with that)." D6n't shoot the messenger.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Maybe a somewhat humorous story from the WSOP.
I was moved to a new table and there was a guy in the wheelchair in the big blind. They tell me I have to wait a hand past the button. I say to the dealer it could be worse i could be in his chair (i meant taking the big blind not a wheelchair - but the big blind gave me a very dirty look.) Oh well, hopefully i did not offend.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a somewhat humorous story from the WSOP.
I was moved to a new table and there was a guy in the wheelchair in the big blind. They tell me I have to wait a hand past the button. I say to the dealer it could be worse i could be in his chair (i meant taking the big blind not a wheelchair - but the big blind gave me a very dirty look.) Oh well, hopefully i did not offend.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent choice of words.