Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I would . . .
fold 2 16.67%
limp 5 41.67%
raise 3x 4 33.33%
raise some other amount 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: OT: The Throwing vs Hitting Tennis Bet

I wish I was in the US even though I suck at tennis.

Although, thinking about it, even if you win using the racket you're still probably going to feel like a loser.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

Maybe they are now, but over the years no one matches Stanford. Ken Kao please announce the stakes and glove or no glove. It will have to be 7-1 since you are so good.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have to agree, I made the announcement. I know that I have no chance against him, but how many Stanford tennis players are on 2+2. And he probably cannot come up with the $500 minumum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you kidding? He plays medium/high stakes limit poker, the $500 minimum is piss for him. And if it wasn't I'd stake him.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:39 PM

PS is it legal for Amateur players to do this?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS is it legal for Amateur players to do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine the NCAA would be very happy about it. Gambling on sports is a huge [censored] no-no. So almost certainly not.

EDIT: Searching the NCAA bylaws for Div. I for gambling, I get
[ QUOTE ]

10.3 GAMBLING ACTIVITIES

Staff members of a member conference, staff members of the athletics department of a member institution and student-athletes shall not knowingly: (Revised: 4/22/98 effective 8/1/98)

(a) Provide information to individuals involved in organized gambling activities concerning intercollegiate athletics competition;

(b) Solicit a bet on any intercollegiate team;

(c) Accept a bet on any team representing the institution;

(d) Solicit or accept a bet on any intercollegiate competition for any item (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) that has tangible value; or (Revised: 9/15/97)

(e) Participate in any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate athletics or professional athletics, through a bookmaker, a parlay card or any other method employed by organized gambling. (Revised: 1/9/96, 1/14/97 effective 8/1/97)

[/ QUOTE ]

This technically doesn't look intercollegiate, so it might be okay, but what they consider "professional" athletics isn't clear from this. Probably that's defined somewhere else. The relevant sanction:

[ QUOTE ]
(b) A student-athlete who solicits or accepts a bet or participates in any gambling activity that involves intercollegiate athletics or professional athletics, through a bookmaker, a parlay card or any other method employed by organized gambling, shall be ineligible for all regular-season and postseason competition for a minimum of a period of one year from the date of the institution's determination that a violation has occurred and shall be charged with the loss of a minimum of one season of competition. If the student-athlete is determined to have been involved in a subsequent violation of any portion of Bylaw 10.3, the student-athlete shall permanently lose all remaining regular-season and postseason eligibility in all sports. (Revised: 4/27/06)

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Yeah, he would get in big trouble for this I would imagine if he is still on the team.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe they are now, but over the years no one matches Stanford. Ken Kao please announce the stakes and glove or no glove. It will have to be 7-1 since you are so good.

[/ QUOTE ]
still even money with a glove?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:48 PM

Well no one is going to tell anyone and there is no way to prove it. he can have someone watching bet for him, so he is just playing a regular tennis match, nothing illegal about it. what i am counting on is that 10k might put a little pressure on him, 10k to me is nothing and I wont feel any pressure.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM

throwing has got to have a huge advantage(given the odds/structure that is) assuming you are really good at catching... you would have perfect placement. and you could almost always just barely lob it over the net so the racket would always have to be able to cover the front court as well as the whole width of the court since the thrower will be throwing to the extreme right or left a very high percentage of the time.

this is esp true if the catcher can catch the ball without it bouncing first which i assume he can. its fairly obviously any catch within about 6 feet of the net is an automatic point. with a glove you could be making a lot of catches close up like that.

i also think the glove would have a great advantage when recieving and a much less an advantage when serving. but the rules for serving for the thrower haven't been defined

i am not a tennis pro though so i could be way off in my analysis

EDIT: clay increases the glove guys advantage i think as well. also if kneepads(and other protective gear) were allowed that greatly helps the glove guy
Old 08-29-2006, 04:59 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

i think i agree with almost busto

i think kenthecow and nick rainey should just play straight up