Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Alcohol - Spirits

[ QUOTE ]
hey mix the tonic from scratch at the bar and it is great.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, that was my reaction the first time I ordered it. They don't use Canada Dry. They mix up all the flavorings for tonic (quinine, sugar, etc.) with a mortar and pestle then combine with some sparkling water. It has a much better flavor than the bottled tonic and seems to compliment the Hendricks better.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM

Not to hijack a great thread about gin (my favorite), but has anyone had Magellan gin that can comment about it? I enjoy Sapphire, Tanq and have only had Hendricks once and liked it. How does Magellan compare?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a new favorite sipping Tequila...Herradura Reposado. For the price (~$35) Im not sure theres a better deal. Salty and fruity (cant putmy finger on the flavor is it canteloupe??), smooth as can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

A much better deal would be El Tesoro Reposado (~$40). Much better tequila at a slightly higher price. The El Tesoro is a great example of how vibrant and mellow a reposado can be, it has a great array of flavors. You might want to try the Cazadores Reposado as well. The Cazadores is similar, yet cheaper than the Herradura, and a better tequila imo. The reposado is also the worst of the Herraduras.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To subscribe, go to:
The Wine Merchant

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I just went there for the first time this past weekend. Fantasic liquor store, they actually carried aquavit! although they did have to go in the back to get it.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a new favorite sipping Tequila...Herradura Reposado. For the price (~$35) Im not sure theres a better deal. Salty and fruity (cant putmy finger on the flavor is it canteloupe??), smooth as can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

A much better deal would be El Tesoro Reposado (~$40). Much better tequila at a slightly higher price. The El Tesoro is a great example of how vibrant and mellow a reposado can be, it has a great array of flavors. You might want to try the Cazadores Reposado as well. The Cazadores is similar, yet cheaper than the Herradura, and a better tequila imo. The reposado is also the worst of the Herraduras.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't drink a lot of tequila but I like the El Tesoro Reposado. Another one I like is Cantera Tequila Anejo. I used the El Tesora to make a kick ass marinade for some fajita meat. El Tesora, fresh lime, salt, and Grand Mariner. Essentially a margarita, it was very good.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

To subscribe, go to:
The Wine Merchant

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I just went there for the first time this past weekend. Fantasic liquor store, they actually carried aquavit! although they did have to go in the back to get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you found it a good place. If you ever have any questions about spirits, ask for Dave in the Clayton store. The guy knows more about alcohol than just about anyone. And he has just about everything or knows where to get it.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

To subscribe, go to:
The Wine Merchant

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the tip. I am heading there tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive tried both Cazadores and Tesoro and agree that they are fantastic tequilas. I have to say that I like the Herradura more than Cazadores.

Im going to have to look around some more for a better price on Tesoro as I consistently see it priced in the upper $40's.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, that was my reaction the first time I ordered it. They don't use Canada Dry. They mix up all the flavorings for tonic (quinine, sugar, etc.) with a mortar and pestle then combine with some sparkling water. It has a much better flavor than the bottled tonic and seems to compliment the Hendricks better.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap that sounds divine. G+Ts were my first real drink of choice, i wonder where i can find some quinine to do this. This sounds soooooooooo gooooooooood