Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Speeds VS Regulars

[ QUOTE ]
I have a pretty good idea of the type of ROI I got over many thousand speeds, and not as good an ideas as the regs, but basically regs take almost twice as long as a speed, but the upper attainable ROI doesn't seem to be 2x what it is in the speeds, which would mean the hourly rate of speeds is higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

one other factor that makes up some of the difference is I can 12 table regulars, and think I would top out in sppeds somewhere around 8 to 10 tabling (I,ve only played a few dozen, but the short clock does make a difference.) That is assuming normal play without timeclock clickers etc. I really don't wanna constantly slow down the games i'm in for many reasons.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:51 PM

don't jump too quickly....add one more table than what you're used to and see how it goes, then add another and repeat.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 PM

I'd be very surprised if anyone is able to 12-table the speeds without it having a significant negative effect on their play.

Personally I am extremely uncomfortable with 8-tabling the speeds also. Six is about right for me. I am sure clickninjas, like Raptor, can handle 10-tabling the speeds. I read somewhere it has something to do with hormonal (im)balance. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
don't jump too quickly....add one more table than what you're used to and see how it goes, then add another and repeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, um, it's not a lack of experience or a matter of practacing (after over a million hands of multi table play, if I still need practice, ill give up).

there is a limit for everyone on how fast they can make proper decisions, depending on speed and complexity. that limit allows me to play 6 to 8 6max nl table, 8 or 9 6 max limit tables, 12 full limit tables, 12 regular sng's, 7 or 8 6max sng's, and somewhere between 8 to 10 speeds. It is what it is. If I go beyond it, my error rate stops increasing gradually and increases sharply. at that point the added tables are costing me far more than they would make me.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sure this has been asked a million times, I even read the entire facts and hit up a ton of the links in there...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be nasty (well, only a little) but if you're sure that this question has been asked a million times, why wouldn't you use the search function?

If Mods can't use it effectively (and this could be a fair reason for the OP) then perhaps it is unreasonable to expect newbies to use it.

[ QUOTE ]
....is there a skill level or ROI difference between them?

[/ QUOTE ]
A speed tournament obviously has less hands. Obviously, a good players improved skills will thus not be as obvious (as they have less hands to exert their skill levels). Obviosuly, therefore, given equal skill of opponents, your ROI will be lower on speeds.

On the other hand, because more multitablers play speeds (due to a broad consensus that speeds have higher $/hr) you may end up playing less good players in regulars.

This combines to result in a player typically having higher ROIs at regulars.

[ QUOTE ]
....is it more difficult to multitable speed due to less reaction time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but like all poker, it becomes automatic after awhile.

[ QUOTE ]
....what are you preference?

[/ QUOTE ]
Speeds

[ QUOTE ]
....does it even matter?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I think so. I believe my $/hr is higher at speeds (Although, of course, others may have different experiences)

[ QUOTE ]

....Im looking to get up to 8-12 tabling once I upgrade my computer and want to know what the differences are basically?

[/ QUOTE ]
See above.

From the FAQ:
[ QUOTE ]

The best way to learn to play on multiple tables at once is to start with just one table, and then to add extra tables when you feel comfortable. If you add tables too quickly, you are likely to make more mistakes, and thus, you may go from being a winning player to a losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Im sure this has been asked a million times, I even read the entire facts and hit up a ton of the links in there...

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to be nasty (well, only a little) but if you're sure that this question has been asked a million times, why wouldn't you use the search function?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did, try searching using the word speed in One Table Tourneys see how far you get? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2006, 10:32 AM

try +speeds +regulars [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if anyone is able to 12-table the speeds without it having a significant negative effect on their play.

Personally I am extremely uncomfortable with 8-tabling the speeds also. Six is about right for me. I am sure clickninjas, like Raptor, can handle 10-tabling the speeds. I read somewhere it has something to do with hormonal (im)balance. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never played more than 8 speeds, but im pretty sure travestyfund/bonafone/deuce2high 12 table speeds (or at lease travis and kevin, i think deuce plays cash games), and id find it hard pressed to believe that they would continue if losing money 12 tabling. might be off here....
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never played more than 8 speeds, but im pretty sure travestyfund/bonafone/deuce2high 12 table speeds (or at lease travis and kevin, i think deuce plays cash games), and id find it hard pressed to believe that they would continue if losing money 12 tabling. might be off here....

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it meant losing money. I said it having significant negative effect on their play (poorer reads, having to stress call/fold, missing when somene is tilting at the table) etc. It is of course possible to make a profit in spite of this. It may even increase $/h compared to 8-/9-/10-/11-tabling. Anyone saying they know it does probably don't have confident samples in each strata.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STTs are easy.

It def does not have a significant effect on the quality of my play. This is the only way to absolutely maximize hourly rate (once/if youre ready for it) bottom line. I can play almost 50 speeds in a little over 2 hrs.