Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Please help me fix a leak in my game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The weak bet on an all low card flop made me think he missed. Unless he has AA (maybe KK) why wouldn't bet bigger to protect QQ-TT? Turns out he had 99 and played it really well, disguising his hand. I was obviously dead to runner straight. Yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll do better if you don't assume a small bet is a sign of weakness.
If for some reason I was in this hand, I would call the flop, and shove any 8/5/[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] turn (possibly even a 6 or 7).
I played a very similar hand in the Super Thursday I chopped. Here's the link. Go to hand 238.

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand, the guy flipped over AA and I was waaaay behind again.

[/ QUOTE ]
unlucky, you have a suited ace against an opponent who may think you are stealing and you're getting 2.25:1. this is never a fold.

and yes, quite frankly, part of MTTs is often making calls where you're pretty sure you're behind but the odds justify making the call. i've written about this before, i'll make a raise i think is +EV, and then if i get jammed at, my loose image (which loosens other peoples' range against me) combined with the pot odds makes a call +EV too. it's higher variance, higher volatility, but i usually look for those spots to find a hidden gamble and "slingshot" myself to the front of the pack where other people might just fold and take their O EV and move on to the next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of how I play it, but with less skill/results/bankroll than you, Nath [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments - they're appreciated and respected.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Please help me fix a leak in my game

Just an update and another thanks.

Took home 1st ($300)in a live 24-person tourney last night ($30 buy-in) and really tried to look at my bet sizes along with tightening up a bit. It certainly helped. Thanks again.