Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Deadwood- \"The Catbird Seat\"

I was pretty sure that <font color="white">Ellsworth</font> was going to be the one to die, but I was really hoping that it would be in some sort of battle, not just a cold-blooded murder. I wanted to see him take some of Hearst's hirelings out with him.

I can't [censored] believe that next week is the last episode. That is a serious bad beat. I don't think they have even started production on the movies yet, so it is gonna be a long ass dry spell.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:05 PM

Some more of my thoughts on this episode:

It sucks the way Ellsworth bought it, his last conversation was with a dog. He was actually one of the more likeable characters. "Likeable" in the sense that he was a nice person as opposed to just being a compelling character. He did not have an evil side other then wanting to get that "C--ksucker" Hearst.

Parading him around town elicited some great reactions. It also had a galvaniizing effect on many of the characters that normally would never associate, which was excellent.

Unlike many of the anti hero's on Tv that you would commonly root for, such as Vic Mackey, Tony Soprano, and Al Swearengen, Hearst has no redeeming qualities on this show.

My guess is many of the fictional characters are going to get killed if it comes to that. Judging by the way Milch has been writing the series so far, he has largely kept within historical context/boundaries. So basically many of the main characters are safe because almost all of them made it out of Deadwood alive.

I have to re-watch the episode 1-2 more times on demand to catch everything.

The only good thing about next Sunday is The Wire will start the following, a small consolation yes, but at least it is something. This season of Deadwood is the best season of any Television Series that I have ever watched.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:46 PM

On more thing I was wondering about was what happened to Wyatt Earp? I thought when they brought him into the show he would probably have something to do with this eventual conflict. But he and his brother have been MIA for two weeks now. Certainly they didnt intrduce his character just so he could work a timber lease and have tension with Bullock.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm pretty bummed this show is going to end. Why do they cancel all the good shows?

I haven't noticed whether this was mentioned in previous threads but has anyone noticed that the "other" theatre guy is the dude from Breaking Away.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 PM

I happened to watch the first 4 epps of the show ever this weekend. It's neat to kinda see the start and the end at the same time. Helped me warm to Bullock a lot.

This ep was fantastic. The bit with Utter and Al's guys was great. Plus there was added Richardson content, which was awesome.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On more thing I was wondering about was what happened to Wyatt Earp?

[/ QUOTE ]

Morgan Earp shot one of Hearst's big-mouthed pistoleros (I love that word). No charges were filed, but Bullock strongly suggested to Wyatt that since the timber claim was worthless, they might want to move along to another town.

In real life, Wyatt went to Deadwood, hoping to find work as sheriff, but Bullock told him to FO, so Wyatt moved along.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
About Langrishe, why did Hearst give him the evil stare.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hearst had just come in from his perch, where he had seen Ellsworth's body carted by, and had seen the strong reaction everyone in camp had to the sight. He was prepared for a hothead reaction from anybody, so when he found Jack in the hallway, he was ready to rumble.

Jack hadn't seen nor heard about Ellsworth, and was not coming down the hall to murder Hearst. False alarm--which significantly influenced Hearst into letting his guard down when a female knocked on the door.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I missed the first ten minutes. Did they show who killed Ellsworth?

[/ QUOTE ]

The killer was an assassin that Hearst had hired. At the beginning of the episode Hearst is in his office talking to two shady looking characters. Hearst mentions that he "knows who he wants killed first" (or something to that effect), but doesn't mention a name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hearst asked the men if they were familiar with the tent in which the intended target lived.

I was thinking, "Who on this show lives in a tent???"

Cut to Ellsworth in a tent. Uh-oh.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:38 AM

"I was thinking, "Who on this show lives in a tent???"

Cut to Ellsworth in a tent. Uh-oh."

I can only assume this was so that we knew that he was delivering his character's own eulogy. I kinda liked that. Letting the actor send off his character like that.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM

I think Hearst has figured out that Langrishe is spying on him, and will have him killed next episode.

Also, its amazing how much of a badass Bullock's character has become over the past two seasons. He and Swearengen basically started out on opposite sides of the spectrum, and crossed each other heading the other way. I actually find Swearengen far more sympathetic and likeable than Bullock now.