Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2006, 12:52 PM

Default My Grand Financial Plan...Help Please!

Hi all, I've posted here off and on with random questions but now I think its time to put it all together so I'm going to start from scratch.

I'm 22, just out of college and 3 weeks into a new job in the fun filled field of consulting. Financially speaking I tend to be relatively frugal and my salary leaves me with a good amount of disposible income...just how much I haven't quite figured out yet. My employer has a 401k that matches 25% of my contribution up to 6% (so I would have to contribute 24% to get the full match)

I also have some savings that I'm looking to invest...about 60k total to be exact, which comes from a combination of poker, family stuff and some money I have put aside to eventually pay off a no-interest college loan that Im not going to deal with till they make me. I plan on investing that principle and paying the loan off monthly out of my bank account to serve basically as a form of monthly investment.

I currently have holdings in some Vanguard index funds, and the 401k is there too so that is convenient. What I am looking for is a good, tax-efficient allocation for my money and maybe some specific funds to choose from. I know there have been tons of posts like this around here but it always varies a little situation to situation and well...this is my situation.

I was just playing around in excel with a few scenarios, feel free to comment and add your own opinions. Copying in the image file seemed like the best bet...

Final thoughts:
-Which bond funds are "the best", I know very little about these
-Im not sure how much I like the US right now, how international is too international or are there other ways to hedge here
-Any major sectors Im missing or should consider
-Vanguard has 3k fund minumums and fees for those under 10k, so I was trying to eliminate those by picking only a few funds to use.

I know theres lots here, I'd appreciate comments on any small part of it and I'd love to get a discussion going if people are into it. Thanks a bunch,