Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Jamie Gold \"Agent Resume\" Ripped Mercilessly by Hollywood Types

[ QUOTE ]
why do you guys hate gold so much? im sorry but ive been out of the poker loop since the final table of the wsop

[/ QUOTE ]

* He name-drops like it's his job
* He has shown an utter lack of humility, and when he tries, it comes across as false-modesty which only exacerbates it
* The interview line about potentially dumping chips was ill-advised to say the least
* People here don't think he's that good at poker (kind of silly, since he utterly steamrolled the final 3 tables in a way that has never been seen in the ME in recent memory)
* People are jealous
* His resume appears to be a pack of lies...doesn't really matter in the context of poker, but it's just more fuel on the fire
* He's kind of smarmy
* He has more or less conceded that he doesn't want to be an ambassador for the game (the only real responsibility the ME winner has)
* He was a gigantic luckbox throughout tourney (can't fault the guy for it; i think ppl r coming down too hard on him for that. he played his cards the right way, except for an atrocious QQ laydown preflop for something like 1/6 of the pot...but that would have put him all-in...it wasn't as big an error as ppl faulted him for)
Old 08-15-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see anyone promising half their winnings for something like this

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
even though I did promise my girlfriend that I would ask her to marry me if I ever won the WSOP ME. ).

[/ QUOTE ]

you did without even knowing it
Old 08-15-2006, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Not Ripped Because we don\'t know him.

[ QUOTE ]
chris moneymaker is a person that many feel is a bad human being, and very screwed up.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't recall ever hearing this kind of gossip about Chris. People here often trash his skills as a player (mistakenly so, IMO), but I've never heard people say he was a bad guy of any sort. I know him somewhat well, and he's always been the nicest guy to be around, and I also never see him be anything but nice to other people, e.g., waitresses, fans, employees of PokerStars, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
there are very few greg raymers or doyle brunsons out there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Gotta give you a thanks for that one.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-15-2006, 09:23 AM

Default I still don\'t get it

Assume that Gold padded his resume. So what? Unless I'm missing something, I thought anybody could pony up $10K to play in this thing. I don't recall seeing an "upstanding citizen" clause.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:26 AM

i am sure he is a nice guy. his battles with personal issues have been public. none of us is perfect, and i wish him well.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:41 AM

Never heard any of that about Chris either. Heard he lost a bundle of his winnings in cash games and other gambling escapades but that's pretty unremarkable in that world.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Re: I still don\'t get it

[ QUOTE ]
Assume that Gold padded his resume. So what? Unless I'm missing something, I thought anybody could pony up $10K to play in this thing. I don't recall seeing an "upstanding citizen" clause.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anyone suggesting his title be stripped? Being a lying bastard doesn't prevent you from winning the ME but winning the ME doesn't preclude criticism for being a lying bastard.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Gold Story Will Continue to Unfold

Living in the belly of the beast that is Hollywood where hearsay, rumor, and innuendo are the currency, Jamie Gold's story will continue to dribble out in bits and pieces.

To play in Hollywood, you have to be egomanical, overly confident, and a bit obsessive. All these traits serve a poker player well.

What I have "heard":

He was an assistant and a junior agent at one point. It's been several years since he was on the 10% side of the business. While he may have repped Gandolfini, Huffman, Liu, et al, he did not help them get any of their major roles and this was before they were established stars. If he had, then he would still be their agent.

Higher ups in the entertainment industry have never heard of Jamie Gold until now. Some casting directors around town have worked with him in the past.

I'm sure some things about his personal life will also come out in due time which will cause the message boards to light up. In Hollywood, no one cares unless you happen to murder your ex-wife and even then you stand a better than 50/50 chance of getting away with it. In poker, every little gossipy thing will get blown out of proportion. What I have heard is there's nothing criminal in his background (we'll leave that to the Smoking Gun). But as his personal life is revealed, some people in the poker industry will pounce upon it to hate him even more. In LA, it wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

Here's a little thing from Norm's column that's of interest:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...s/9043020.html

What I am unsure about is if he will be a good poker ambassador. I think the bar has been set remarkably high with Moneymaker, Raymer, and Hachem. Time will tell whether he wants to assume that responsibility.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
clearly karma doesnt exist in this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ...
Boy George sentenced to community service picking up trash

Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: I still don\'t get it

He sounded like a huge douche on a local radio show this morning. Calling himself "king of the small tournaments" pre this wsop, etc.