Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Hurray for Playing Big Pots with 1 Pair

MDMA,
Obviously I don't want to jack it in there with 1 pair...but it always seems to me that that shouldnt be a controlling reason for my action. I mean, I think the real question I'm asking is this. I know that my preflop hyper agression (especially in blind v button situations) is going to impact people's games when they play against me. So, when I have a hand on a decent flop which is probably stronger than my opponent anticipates it being (JJ is way the upper end of my preflop range there) doesnt betting planning to fold to a cr make me fairly exploitable.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
f2,

It worked for me in Firefox.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to download a plugin for it to work.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MDMA,
Obviously I don't want to jack it in there with 1 pair...but it always seems to me that that shouldnt be a controlling reason for my action. I mean, I think the real question I'm asking is this. I know that my preflop hyper agression (especially in blind v button situations) is going to impact people's games when they play against me. So, when I have a hand on a decent flop which is probably stronger than my opponent anticipates it being (JJ is way the upper end of my preflop range there) doesnt betting planning to fold to a cr make me fairly exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that simple. Sometimes when you take the action up to this point, you have AA and are never folding. Sometimes you have a screwy two pair or a set; sometimes you have a big draw (is 54s possible from you? Based on your description, it seems it is at least some portion or the time) and sometimes you have absolutely nothing (which is a turbomuck). JJ is one of those hands on the edge where, based on your image, you might have the best hand but you just can't push it in and hope for that. If you had a supernit image, it would be an easy fold.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:57 PM

ghazban,
i think your making my point. obviously if my opponent thinks im tight and makes this play its a pretty easy fold. given that i know he thinks im spastic though (and that as I said in my OP, he isnt great but not really a nit), i thought this was a pretty close/tough decision. it seems to me though, that if im consistently going to bet/fold hands as good as JJ in this situation, i become too easy to back down postflop after putting a lot of money in preflop.

of course, at the same time, if im consistently paying off then im also too easy to trap.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that if im consistently going to bet/fold hands as good as JJ in this situation

[/ QUOTE ]

This is your problem, you AREN'T going to consistenly fold "hands as good as jacks" here, simply because if this spot should turn up much more often, e.g him c/r:ing you after you 3-bet, then you are obv going to have to jack it in in the future, but this is the first time, and you have no reason to belive he's out of line/doing this thin yet.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MDMA,

[/ QUOTE ]

it makes you extremely exploitable but players like you described don't exploit it. that's why it's profitable to play this way and it's the reason you keep your range bluff heavy rather than legit heavy. so it's a fold and keep check on the players who you think have the ability to exploit it.

fwiw, i use the logic you said anytime i want to convince myself to make a bad call.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:03 PM

I basically said the same thing 1800GAMBLER said, and since he is god, it must be right.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM

im not really doubting you guys being right. im very comfortable understanding how the typical tournament player adapts to my aggression, im still learning how the "typical" cash game guy does. these seemed to be a good hand that exemplified the preflop-flop link i was thinking about.

anyway, i run good...so I jacked it in there and he called his last 800 after a long think with 77.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 PM

I wish people would play 77 like that against me....
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MDMA,

[/ QUOTE ]

it makes you extremely exploitable but players like you described don't exploit it. that's why it's profitable to play this way and it's the reason you keep your range bluff heavy rather than legit heavy. so it's a fold and keep check on the players who you think have the ability to exploit it.

fwiw, i use the logic you said anytime i want to convince myself to make a bad call.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, i use the logic OP said anytime i want to convince myself to make the call, and most of the time i am truly shocked at what i see, that they call off their last 800 with some gutshot, they turbofold, call with AK or whatever. i really don't think this is an easy fold if MLG's image is what he says it is. but i'm a calling station, as anyone who played with me in vegas can attest to.