Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Hand vs. Negreanu on Day 1C

[ QUOTE ]
Betgo,

Your hand isn't especially vulnerable when you are ahead. I can't see pushing here. Just check and let DN bluff at it if you think you're ahead often enough (and I wouldn't be surprised if you were).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a possible approach, but you are OOP, and I don't like giving two free cards. I don't think Negreanu has a flush draw, but he is about 17% to win with A/K and a low card. Also, if you push, he may make a mistake of folding a higher Q or putting you on a flush draw and calling with a middle pp.

If the money was deeper, I would definately call and check/call the whole way.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:27 PM

As played I make a fold here, even though we could be laying the best hand down.

I think the easiest way to play this hand is to lead out with a bet of about 60% of the pot. It might make our hand sort of transparent but I prefer it to being totally confused and allowing Negreanu to potentially make this raise to 5k with air.

I think Negreanu is less likely to get tricky if you lead out for fear that you aren't capable of folding a Q (if he has air).

If you were to lead out and then he raises you it's a simpler muck.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:38 PM

The problem with the flop is if you call is DN's raise, folding a blank turn is pretty ugly.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:51 PM

i think this is a play, DN is trying to represent the 5, i think hes holding an under pair to the Queen or a flush draw, its a push by you
Old 08-12-2006, 04:04 PM

"DN is playing aggressive and the rest of the table are getting fed up and playing back at him."

I wouldn't say they're playing back at him. I saw him raise preflop in the dark and get no callers!

I'd agree that my call preflop was loose, only because I didn't have more chips. I realized that at the time, but decided to take a gamble here. However, I think it would be an obvious call if I had had the button covered.

Re-raising preflop I hate because I don't have the chips for it and it really only gives me the chance to take it down preflop. If I'm gonna make that play, I might as well be doing it with any 2. If the button calls, I'm pretty much in hell.

Raising the flop seems futile. Nobody with a worse hand stays with me, and protecting my hand seemed unnecessary at the time. I figured that if I'm ahead of the button, he maybe has 2 or 3 outs. I thought Negreanu most likely had missed and wouldn't make the overcall, so his raise was an unwelcome surprise.

Anyway, I did let him have it. It was exactly the kind of precedent I didn't want to set, but I didn't feel like I had much of a choice.

Negreanu claimed K5 after the hand. He also made a comment comparing this hand to the previous hand, which sounded candid. So I tend to believe him.

I think he must have put me on a flush draw, hence the raise. If he had flat called, and button checks a blank turn, I probably get busted right there.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a play, DN is trying to represent the 5, i think hes holding an under pair to the Queen or a flush draw, its a push by you

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I think it is probably a play. He could have something but not a 5. He could have nothing. He could have a 5.

The reason I would push is my opponent. I think Negreanu would do this as a bluff an awful lot. You could call and call him down, but he is a good enough player that he may make the right read and not bluff much more. Then you give him two free cards to draw out on you. If you push, he may make a mistake and you can't make any more mistakes. Given the way Negreanu has been playing, I don't mind risking busting out with TPNK here.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 PM

This looks like a pretty easy fold preflop. The way it was played, I'd fold on the flop. I doubt Daniel is dumb enough to try to bluff a new player to his table on Day 1 with a small raise, in the hope you'll put him on trips. For all he knows you're the biggest calling station in the history of the universe.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:46 PM

Negreanu is seeing almost every flop. He must be making plays like that. If he was playing mostly complete calling stations, there wouldn't be much point in trying to outplay them postflop.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:01 PM

Personally, my read on the situation was that Negreanu isn't doing this with any 2. Considering the action before him, he needs SOMETHING to make this raise. But that could be a 5, a Q (even a worse one than mine), a pocket pair underneath the Q, or a flush draw. I'm not saying he's incapable of making that play with any 2, but I feel there's very little chance that's what he was doing.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM

Just to reiterate:

[ QUOTE ]
That's what you get for playing Q8s when you are OOP and DN has played almost every pot.

[/ QUOTE ]