Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: American Accent

[ QUOTE ]
on a sidenote...what happens to accents when people start singing?? (bands like inxs, u2, def leppard, jet) Anybody else notice how the accent doesnt really come through in the songs (as opposed to interviews and such)

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is because they just naturally try to emulate bands they like.. which are usually american bands. you sometimes notice an american band singing with a sort of foreign accent like green day for instance, same idea
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are several British actors who play roles that require an American Accent, Colin Ferrel and the guy who plays on House come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fwiw, Colin Farrell actually plays up his Irish accent when he's being interviewed on TV(and playing himself on scrubs), presumably to appeal to the american stereotype of Irish people usually depicted on TV. His actual accent is nowhere near that thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? What stereotype?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Hugh Laurie's American accent is really flawless.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
on a sidenote...what happens to accents when people start singing?? (bands like inxs, u2, def leppard, jet) Anybody else notice how the accent doesnt really come through in the songs (as opposed to interviews and such)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too. I thought all bands were American till I was like 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can hear the accent in a lot of Pink Floyd songs though. Altough, they are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that do show the accent.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hugh Laurie's American accent is really flawless.

[/ QUOTE ]

every once in a while i'll notice a word that sounds off. not british, just wrong. but i agree. for someone who has starred in an american TV show for two seasons, he's done an awesome job on his accent.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM

I was born and grew up in Montreal Canada my whole life. But for some reason everybody thinks I have an american accent, from NJ specifically. Its really werid becuase iv never been there and im 4th generation montrealer, but when I traveled to europe this summer everybody thought I was from Jersey. I think its the attitude that you talk with. I try to talk with confidence so maybe thats different from the milder canadian speech?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Dominic West who plays Jimmy McNulty in The Wire does a pretty great job of covering up his accent as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored] way. He's the only British actor whose British accent is noticeable when he's playing an American character. It cracks me up every time he slips into the British accent, because no other British actor does it, which leads me to believe that an American accent is probably pretty easy to imitate.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:07 PM

I find most accents easy to mimic but american is suprisingly hard to keep up, (i am australian), I can interestingly enough sought of mimic different chinese accents (in chinese).
Old 08-11-2006, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed this too. I thought all bands were American till I was like 16.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can hear the accent in a lot of Pink Floyd songs though. Altough, they are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that do show the accent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Waters' and Gilmour's accents do come through pretty clearly even while singing. I didn't start listening to Floyd until my late teens though.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There are several British actors who play roles that require an American Accent, Colin Ferrel and the guy who plays on House come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just fwiw, Colin Farrell actually plays up his Irish accent when he's being interviewed on TV(and playing himself on scrubs), presumably to appeal to the american stereotype of Irish people usually depicted on TV. His actual accent is nowhere near that thick.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? What stereotype?

[/ QUOTE ]

The stereotype(the fighting, the drinking, wearing green) for Irish people in Hollywood comes mostly from the impression made by Irish immigrants in Boston decades ago. The thick Irish accent that you generally hear in movies and on TV is horrible, and sounds nothing like an actual modern Irish accent. The Irish are one of the more beloved of the nationalities that immigrated to the states, and Colin Farrell, knowing this, plays up his Irishness, really laying on the accent, and the boisterous behaviour, thick. Listen to Pierce Brosnan talk. Does he sound unmistakably Irish?