Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Running into the ex-Famous

I used to work in a bookstore in Santa Monica that got a rep among the stars as a place where they could browse around and nobody would ever bother them. We were a pretty cool helpful staff and I guess it made them feel comfortable.

Saw tons of stars. The most obnoxious were Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Crichton -- the latter was almost unbearably nasty and egotistical. For a guy who is supposedly so brilliant, his social abilities belonged to an idiot.

Some were very cool, like John Houseman. Karl Malden was super nice, very casual; everybody loved the guy.

I guess right up there at the top, maybe the nicest celeb, was Dick Van Dyke. He had what was in many ways a said life -- huge talent sinking into nothingness and alcoholism. I was crazy about this guy's movies when I was a little kid and was just in awe of him. Nice surprise when he turned out to be such a cool, friendly, easy to talk to guy. I still felt bad for him, but he was past the alcoholic stage at that point, I think. Still his career was nothing, which was an incredible waste for a guy that talented. Luckily, he got his own successful t.v. show again after that. But for me when I saw him, he was a childhood idol shot down low, and it was a real bummer. I'm glad he got things going again.

To the OP: that definitely is a sad story. Never heard of the band, but the guy's response to you was definitely a whole world of sadness. Cool that you had something nice to say to him. Might have nourished his soul just a little.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:21 AM

Blarg,
What store was it, I live in SM. Just curious.

I worked at a running shoe store while going to school. Jimmy Smits came in looking for a jock strap. Of course I had to ask him what size. He gave me the look implying "extra large, of course".
Old 01-23-2006, 02:26 AM

Crown Books, north side of the street, forget it if was on Wilshire or Santa Monica Blvds. by now, long ago. A couple/few miles up from the beach.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:35 AM

I ran into Bob Saget at Harvard a few years ago. We were standing on the street and he came out of some building. He was so drunk he could barely stand up used the word f*ck about 25 times in the span of a 2 minute conversation. It was great.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:56 AM

If I ever see a celeb Im going to go up to them and tell them that i like their movies/songs!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:25 AM

I live in Providence, and Danny Devito's daughter goes to Brown. Devito is married to that waitress chick from cheers "Carla." Well, one day I saw Carla and the daughter walking down Thayer Street near my place.

The daughter is a toad.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Providence, and Danny Devito's daughter goes to Brown. Devito is married to that waitress chick from cheers "Carla." Well, one day I saw Carla and the daughter walking down Thayer Street near my place.

The daughter is a toad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel bad for her...what the [censored] do you think you'd get when you put these things together:

+

Old 01-23-2006, 03:50 AM

something similar - I've run into both Dave Pirner and Dan Murphy (frontmen for Soul Asylum) around the neighborhood Applebee's - eating, not serving - LOL.

but I just remember them being so big and so good and admired in Mpls, and now they can walk into a bar and not get arrested except in the trendy Uptown bars...

kind of a drag - greatest live show I think I've ever seen from a band.

RB
Old 01-23-2006, 03:52 AM

Wow that sucks. A friend from high school is pursuing music as a career. He's a really smart kid, had full scholarships to Ivy (top business school in Canada or was 3 years ago). This post makes me feel scared for him.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The daughter is a toad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel bad for her...what the [censored] do you think you'd get when you put these things together:

+

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Two parents like that leaves you almost zero chance to come out looking good, which is especially hard on the female kids.