Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2006, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Total New to Stock Market, Please help!!

I didn't want to start a new thread on being totally new to the market, but I've done a lot of book reading but no actual investing. Can anyone enlighten me on the penny stocks? What's good that may be cheap? Also, is stocksquest (fake investing, fairly realistic) a good idea to learn whats happening?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:32 AM

Here is your guide to penny stocks :

"How about you give me half your money now, then we go out back, I kick you in the nuts, and we call it even?"
Old 01-25-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't want to start a new thread on being totally new to the market, but I've done a lot of book reading but no actual investing. Can anyone enlighten me on the penny stocks? What's good that may be cheap? Also, is stocksquest (fake investing, fairly realistic) a good idea to learn whats happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.allstocks.com/stockmessag...ultimatebb.cgi
Old 01-25-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Las Vegas area recently had a housing bubble burst. People bought $400k homes putting 5% down just to try to rent them out and flip them in a year. Unable to find renters, many people were forced to sell their $400k homes for $300k and go bankrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you point me to articles that suggest this? Because I've heard nothing of the sort, and my wife's condo has appreciated about 25% in the past year, a price confirmed by a sale yesterday of an identical unit.

EDIT: FWIW, I'm not saying that your scenario is outlandish... it's one possibility I've been concerned about that has kept me renting until now. But I haven't seen it actually materialize here yet.