Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Whatever happened w/ attempted banning of real time SNGPT?

Like I said earlier, I don't know what this software was like or really anything about it. I apparently missed this post/wasn't around yet. The idea simply seems intriguing to me. Here is what would seem very helpful (and not all that bottish) to me. Some sort of software that analyzes the blinds/stack sizes of the table you have up (these could easily be obtained from the last HH from that table. You then enter your hole cards, assign a range to your opponent and make the calculation. You could do this by using presets much like the ones in SNGPT. I think this would be feasible while 6-tabling which is what I do. I couldn't really speak for anything more than that. Does this seem like a bot to anyone else? If so, how is it different from using any other software that uses info from prior HH to calculate odds/equity/future actions?

Again, I don't have any idea what the OP software is like, but what I've proposed here seems very feasible and doesn't seem to me like a bot. Thoughts? Obviously I'm open to criticism here and I'm not saying I'm necessarily correct.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:44 PM

I never heard of this before this thread, but I think too many alarm bells are sounding.

First, this seems right...

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, a "real time SNGPT" is impractical. SNGPT doesn't tell you if your pushes and calls are good or not... it tells you if they're good or not based on the ranges you assign other players. If you try to use it in real time, 1 of 2 things is going to happen. Either the program will assign some generic range to everyone and you will have no idea if what you're doing is *really* a good move -- or -- you will have to enter ranges manually while you're playing... and good luck doing that on 4-10 tables at a time. Also, of course it won't evaluate the finer points of SNG play either like early game stuff, overpushes w/ people left to act behind you, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> If we as poker players can put someone on a range based on various factors then a computer can do it better. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

How is a computer going to do it better, that's one heck of a program? Maybe you could do it by pulling data from PTH but, then you would need a lot of hands for reliable ranges. And while you can fall back on numbers, there's a lot of emotional factors as well that I think would be hard (if not impossible) to program in correctly.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Guys, a "real time SNGPT" is impractical. SNGPT doesn't tell you if your pushes and calls are good or not... it tells you if they're good or not based on the ranges you assign other players. If you try to use it in real time, 1 of 2 things is going to happen. Either the program will assign some generic range to everyone and you will have no idea if what you're doing is *really* a good move -- or -- you will have to enter ranges manually while you're playing... and good luck doing that on 4-10 tables at a time. Also, of course it won't evaluate the finer points of SNG play either like early game stuff, overpushes w/ people left to act behind you, etc...

All in all, I don't think it's going to make the games tougher at all if it does get released.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a slippery slope. If we as poker players can put someone on a range based on various factors then a computer can do it better. If Party / Stars do not take threats like this seriously then it will encourage others to go down this path. Their security teams should have been all over this right off the bat to ensure that the message is clear.

Automating approximate calling (and pushing) ranges + realtime ICM calculations = bad news for SNG's.

rvg

[/ QUOTE ]

this doesn't seem to hard given that over time you could have enough hands with someone that software could extrapolate that when put in situation x villan will make y response most often there for your action should be z

SAM
Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 PM

how is sngpt making any money when there is a free version also available? are there any better things on sngpt the sngegt?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All in all, I don't think it's going to make the games tougher at all if it does get released.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
w00000000000t, its a free version of sngpt!
thanks alot, whoever created this!

now i dont have to calculate by hand anymore! yeeee

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 AM

Can someone post a working link to this mysterious "SNGPT." I am understanding that it is different from "PT." Also, perhaps a link to a thread explaining how and why to use SNGPT or SNG power tools or w/e. I have always used ICM before I realized there is official terminology for it. I need to investigate further. I am trying to perfect my SNG performance.
Closed Thread