Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Extra Chips in ME?

[ QUOTE ]
As you can see, the total number of black chips that used to be green chips is 61 ($6100), instead of the original $6000 that started as green.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, but the greens haven't *all* become blacks. The repliers aren't disputing that there can/will be some inflation of the chip total in play, just the assertion that color-ups are 1chip:1chip and thus turning each individual 25 into a 100 gives you your inflation. (That may or may not bee what MrFizzbin meant, but it sure seems to be what he's saying.)
Old 08-09-2006, 03:25 PM

The total chips in pay at the Final Table, per Cardplayer, are 90,140,000; 2,410,000 more than the number of chips for the reported number of entrants (= 241 entrants).

Even if we assume 40 people from 1a played on 1d that still represents a 2.3% discrepancy. In AcesUp’s example, the inflation caused by chipping up was 1.6% of the green chips in play. If we assume the green chips were 5% of the value in play, that would equate to 0.08% overall inflation. Assuming the same numbers applied to each chip-up, 28 chip-ups would need to occur to get to 2.3% total inflation.

Anybody know how many chip-ups occurred, and what % of the total value the lowest denomination chips typically represent?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:24 PM

chipped away 25, 100, 500, 1000, then 5000 chips. lowest denomination left is 10k chips.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, there may be "extra" chips in play, because of the people with Day 1B starts who got screwed and blinded off on Day 1A. At least two of them were allowed to come back on Day 1D.

While each one should be counted as two separate players for purposes of accurate chip totals, who knows whether WSOP officials were that smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best explanation so far. On my starting table, there were two stacks being blinded off for most of the day. One of them wss a player who they mistakenly gave the wrong starting date to, the other was an apparent no-show. Not sure how much of the first player's stack got blinded off, but at least a few K. If there were 100-200 such mistakes, this could account for the discrepancy. That, and the fact that some people probably added big chips to their stacks...duh.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 PM

My understanding is that if table has 5 odd green chips, they get one black chip. If they have 6 odd green chips, they get 2 black chips. This accounts for some discrepancy. no effect at the 100 color up. At the 500 color up, this effect is huge, as there can only be one odd chip, or no odd chips. Then, no effect at the 1K chip up. Big effect at the 5k color up, but I don't think that's happened, has it?

However, I have to assume that shenanigans have occured as well. People cheat at cards. It's what they do. It's what's been done for thousands of years.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in the other thread, but I thought it may warrant it's own thread as well.

If you take Card Players reported chip counts to start today and add them up, you get 88,226,000. If 8,773 players started, then we should only have 87,730,000 in play. The difference is an astounding 496,000!

Half a million in chips added since beginning of play? Even considering a couple extra players or the difference in running off chips, this seems to point to a lot of cheating...

Am I out of my mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are forgetting about the "Dead Stacks", representing players who bought in but did NOT show up to play, were in play on the 4 Day 1's as those "Dead Stacks" were blinded off.

A fair number of these "Dead Stacks" belong to players with DOCUMENTED medical emergencies, i.e. illness requiring hospitalization and "death in the family". Those players received refunds of their buy-ins.

Those online qualifiers who were "underage" were NOT given refunds.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in the other thread, but I thought it may warrant it's own thread as well.

If you take Card Players reported chip counts to start today and add them up, you get 88,226,000. If 8,773 players started, then we should only have 87,730,000 in play. The difference is an astounding 496,000!

Half a million in chips added since beginning of play? Even considering a couple extra players or the difference in running off chips, this seems to point to a lot of cheating...

Am I out of my mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are forgetting about the "Dead Stacks", representing players who bought in but did NOT show up to play, were in play on the 4 Day 1's as those "Dead Stacks" were blinded off.

A fair number of these "Dead Stacks" belong to players with DOCUMENTED medical emergencies, i.e. illness requiring hospitalization and "death in the family". Those players received refunds of their buy-ins.

Those online qualifiers who were "underage" were NOT given refunds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. If you had documentation of a medical/family emergency that prevented you from playing day 1a, were you allowed to play on days 1b-d? Also, did any uderage qualifiers attempt to get their money back?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:49 PM

I recall that Minh Nguyen (one of those blinded out day 1A), had actually moved his start day to 1D, but "accounting" didn't know that. I'm sure this happened to a few other people. Before yesterday's play started, there was about a 500k discrepancy in chips, I'd chalk up the additional 1.5m of chips to Card Player incompetence.

Last year, John Grooms had a post on RGP explaining why there was a difference in last year's Main Event.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:20 PM

Quiet Lion offers his take here.

quiet lion web page
Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Very well written and documented case for WSOP screwup.

Check this out...

Poker News Article