Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Fun Little WSOP Hand

ok, so checking and not betting seems pretty standard, thats what i did. Now CO with a 15k stack bets 2k and it folds back to me. What's the plan, now and for the turn/river.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 PM

Hmm... I don't really mind a raise here. It wasn't my plan originally, but I think CO is going to have AJ/AQ here A LOT and he should have a really hard time calling a reraise here.

His stack is a bit small to pay to see if we can stack him on the turn, so I think a reraise is best. Don't know whether to go with the overbet shove or to just commit him by raising to like 6k and shoving the turn though.

Then again, a C/C here looks really strong and may earn us a free card on the river.

I'm not counting 88/99 as making up a large part of his range because I think it's very unlikely that no one had an Ace (is this foolish?), but it's certainly possible. In which case, I think C/C is pretty meaningless and obviously wouldn't scare him at all.

This suddenly got a lot more interesting.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know whether to go with the overbet shove or to just commit him by raising to like 6k and shoving the turn though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as a little more convincing. But I'm still slumming in the $20-$30 donkaments.

[ QUOTE ]
This suddenly got a lot more interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...

OevgO,

Taking the 6k line, do you fold to his push? (Getting 1.8-1)
Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 PM

No, the 6k was just a number. If I'm raising, I'm committed to calling a push. That's the only reason I'm not sold on the raise/push turn line, but I guess it really doesn't matter whether we raise/call his all-in compared to just putting him in and having him call.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:49 PM

check/raise from your position is pretty transparent for a draw. A decent player would probably be able to see through it.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check/raise from your position is pretty transparent for a draw. A decent player would probably be able to see through it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing 88/99/A8s/A9s/AK differently from this most of the time?

Also, MLG made it sound like he doesn't exactly have the respect of the entire table.

And it's not like this is a draw heavy board.

We either have 99/88/AK/JT/67/A9/A8/T7, in that order of frequency. I think Villain is going to be hard-pressed to make a call against that range with AJ/AQ.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing 88/99/A8s/A9s differently from this most of the time?

Also, MLG made it sound like he doesn't exactly have the respect of the entire table.

[/ QUOTE ]

which is also why it's pretty foolish to c/r a draw, no?

seriously, the PFR has checked. checking a monster makes no sense here, and any decent player can see thorugh it. Yes, c/r might get a guy who is betting 44 because it's been checked to him to fold. But even a guy holding AJ can see through our clever ruse. Or should be able to.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:03 PM

Probably.

Ugh, I get so caught up in trying to win hands like these that I convince myself I'd actually play my made hands in the fashion I'm proposing.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:10 PM

Your hand's very concealed, which makes it much easier to stack our opponent when we hit, so I'd err on the side of playing this passively.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 PM

Agree with noah. Betting here IMO is terrible. It's the wsop main event. People don't fold top pair. If you hit your straight on the turn you can win a giant pot.

Building a pot to steal with this hand seems bad in a 5 way pot in the softest tournament in the world.