Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Politics Forum

Don't bother, I say. More trouble than anything. Not enough adults able to discuss things calmly. Stick to poker, titties, pizzas and movie stars.

[ QUOTE ]
We will wait until we feel that everything has calmed down. Expect to see it back up around the middle of August.

[/ QUOTE ] Like Shimon Peres said, it's a matter of weeks and not months.

Mickey Brausch
Old 08-04-2006, 09:24 PM

It is also worth noting that we already have politics posts in the Lounge as welcomed over there by db.

"These include posts, which are sometimes very politely written, that distort facts, create new facts"

I agree that lots of political discussion is about distorting facts.
And I don't think you have to be running for office to parttake in such exercises.
My Mom and I are rather opposite politcally. I'm quite liberal. My Mom is extremely conservative in a Rush Limbaugh/Pat Buchanan, etc vain.

Much of politics is about 'twisting or distorting'.
She insists that such ridiculous distortions is all the democrats ever do to support their position (such as this whole global-warming nonsense which she knows is just the democrats over-reacting and making-up a problem that isn't really there).

OTOH, I think she does quite a bit of fact-twisting herself.

So defininig the current political forum situation as something that can be solved by not allowing distortion of the facts seems a bit ill-conceived to me.

Disclaimer: I know only a little about the middle-east situation and even less about the discussions in the politics forum (I didn't participate there).

Just pointing out that the mid-east is not the only area of political discourse in which distortion of facts is common. I think it happens all the time between Repubs and Demos.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Defininig the current political forum situation as something that can be solved by not allowing distortion of the facts seems a bit ill-conceived to me. The mid-east is not the only area of political discourse in which distortion of facts is common. I think it happens all the time between Repubs and Demos.

[/ QUOTE ] Yep. If we ran a poll about where the biggest distortion of the truth usually takes place, in discussions about the Middle East or about American politics, who d'yathink would win? Also re hate, in every discussion about abortion, there's plenty more hatred than all the Middle East talk combined. That's been my experience.

But people are also choosy in their blind spots.

Mickey Brausch
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So why not open the forum now and moderate it... again, like any other forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worth noting at this point, that not all forums on 2+2 are moderated the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, Sniper.

And I tried until I was blue in the face to point that out, and made enought plea's to make a case for differentiating the Forum guidelines that people got sick of hearing it.

So here we are, back at the beginning again.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:32 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Miss you in the Mod forum Bob, when are you coming back?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM

Two problems:

Too many a-holes make posts to intentionally derail well meaning politics threads that they don't agree with. The comments do not add anything, but distract everyone with their stupidity. If the board was still searchable, I could come up with many examples. I can name a few posters that do this all the freakin time.

When threads devolve into flame wars between two or three posters who post 5-10 times each, they become useless to read. Make your point and move on.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Myrtle, imo, we are not back at the beginning... I believe some progress has been made, and there is still more to go...
Old 08-04-2006, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Myrtle, imo, we are not back at the beginning... I believe some progress has been made, and there is still more to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right.

Not to challenge your statement, but please point out to me what you see as 'progress'?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:02 PM

I think you should shut it down entirely.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right.

Not to challenge your statement, but please point out to me what you see as 'progress'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for starters, Mason stating that the politics forum will be reopened... beyond that, I suggest you review the TLDR politics threads...

As for the "still more to go" part, which you didn't ask about... I would point to some of the posts in this (the ATF) forum.