Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (OT) Strasser says coinflips early are ok.

Myself and a few others that I know play relatively tight and have had very good success, as good or at least close to any published long term results that anyone has had. If it was just me, I'd write it off as perhaps a coincidence, but there are at least a few other names I could throw out whom also are doing extremely well playing a relatively tight strategy, at the highest SnG limits.

Please do note that I'm definitely not as tight as some of the people on here, but I would DEFINITELY consider myself tight in the first few rounds of a SnG. Just don't read something like this and let it completely alter the way you play. There are many different styles that you can use to succeed, and some players probably aren't built to use Strassa's in SnGs. If you want to play more hands, the best learning ground IMO is ring games or MTTs.

If you play very well late, and somewhat ok and tight early, you WILL win signifigant amounts of money playing basically any sit and go on currently on the internet.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:40 PM

strassa's not suggesting you start playing super loose during the early rounds, he's suggesting getting invovled with bad players with mediocre hands so you can take advantage of their bad postflop play. It's not really debatable whether this is profitable if you know what you're doing. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't be successful without doing that, as still the majority of your profits will come from the bubble.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
strassa's not suggesting you start playing super loose during the early rounds, he's suggesting getting invovled with bad players with mediocre hands so you can take advantage of their bad postflop play. It's not really debatable whether this is profitable if you know what you're doing. Obviously that doesn't mean you can't be successful without doing that, as still the majority of your profits will come from the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm sure I've done this before [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm just warning people not to think they have to be loose.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM

This makes alot more sense to me now.

1. Jason plays higher limits then me so maximizing any edge is needed.

2. He knows how to play post flop.

3. He played less tables when he was focusing on SNG's, so better reads etc.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I don't see as much merit in routinely getting into pots with mediocre starting hands early as in calling shoves with stuff like AK (+ dead money) when you know AQ is in villian's range. I think this might be an area where STTFers are more gunshy than they should be because they don't want to look foolish. Sort of like coaches who don't go for it on 4th down enough.

My gut feeling is that if both are a drain on the typical STTFers ROI, the AK thing is more significant. Especially when you factor in trying to play tricky marginal hands postflop against donks whlie 8+ tabling.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM

winrate implies dollars/hour. yes your ROI may go down, but you'd play more since you busted early, and it in my opinion at least compensates.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
winrate implies dollars/hour. yes your ROI may go down, but you'd play more since you busted early, and it in my opinion at least compensates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this greatly increase the size and frequency of your swings though?
Old 08-03-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't this greatly increase the size and frequency of your swings though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this matter if you're properly bankrolled?
Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM

Just out of curiosity why is this off topic?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity why is this off topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I guess I consider any non hand posts off topic, but this is most likely wrong b/c this does seem to be on topic.
Closed Thread