Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Top Prize Announced...

the hell with the endorsements and whatnot...if i won $12 million dollars, you would catch me jet-skiing in hawaii, with the closest poker game miles from wherever i am...
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So if you win back your buyin you have zero dollars?

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be easily satisfied if you think winning back your buy-in is a +$10,000 result.

[/ QUOTE ]

this officially wins the dumbest post i have ever seen award. ever.

there are other dumb ones here but this is the most clearly not joking in any way shape or form.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this officially wins the dumbest post i have ever seen award. ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times a day do we see people make a statement like this at 2+2?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be a nit. Its actually $1M- buyin(10k) so they're really only winning $990,000. So they wont be millionares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they won a freeroll to get their seat.

I bet you can lift 100lbs over your head.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM

If you want to get that picky, a good number of players didnt invest 10K, but rather some amount for the satellite that got them there.

They still would be just short of being millionaires, but they would be closer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to get that picky, a good number of players didnt invest 10K, but rather some amount for the satellite that got them there.

They still would be just short of being millionaires, but they would be closer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm pretty sure that whether they paid $20 or $100,000 for their entry fee, if they win $1,000,000 they will be millionares.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if these comments are jokes or just stupid.

Harrah's will be handing 12 people at least $1 million. When they've got that $1 million in their hands, they'll be millionaires. It doesn't matter if they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on satellites to get into the tournament. They've got the $1 million.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:16 PM

This is hilarious!
Old 08-01-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Harrah's will be handing 12 people at least $1 million. When they've got that $1 million in their hands, they'll be millionaires. It doesn't matter if they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on satellites to get into the tournament. They've got the $1 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't believe I'm diving in, but here goes:

The real answer is that we don't have enough information to make these conclusions (sorth of like not knowing stack size or position in hand evaluation). Being a milionaire is a "net worth" concept, not an "revenue/income" concept. 12 people may be able to report "revenue/income" of a million dollars. But, whether they are millionaires depends wholly on what their net worth is at the time they win the money. Someone with a net worth of -$100,000 won't be a millionaire when handed their check for 1 million.

Of course none of this takes into consideration other net worth issues like (1) taxes being taken out or subsequently paid, or (2) being staked and having to split the 1 million ... both reasons that you won't have 12 true millionaires.

All that said and nitted, we all know what Harrah's is saying from a PR perspective and it makes sense that they would say it.

And, I wish I were at the WSOP trying to get my share instead of being a nit here.

NCAces
Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also trying to figure out if these are jokes are not.

If I decided to buy somebody else's entry for $5 million and I finished in 12th place for a $1 million prize I would still be a millionaire.

Also worth noting that finishing down $4 million for the whole process does NOT mean that I am somehow $4 million in debt.
This should be obvious to everyone. But I'm increasingly concerned that it actually isn't.

And some people STILL think poker will dry up and become practically unbeatable because everybody will eventually become smart enough to play well.