Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: When to lead in to a PF raiser?

I think the key is to vary your play. Personally I tend to b3b biddraws/sets most of the time but given that I use a lot of checkraising in other situations I use it a lot with bif draws and made hands to, otherwise I'd become obvious. It's also important to know if that guy you just checkraised have any clue about what you been doing during the past couple rounds/hours. If he is a 10-tabling supernit you shouldn't count on him to have paid you a lot of attention. IMO you should stick to the standard play, wich is b3b, unless you have advertised a lot of checkraising , in wich case a c/r can be a brilliant move with a monster hand.

Also the b3b line is becoming so common that I think strong players are likely to interpret a b3b as a "stronger" move than a c/r these days. Poker is flexible, not static, and adjusting to the right condition is VERY important. I know a lot of you guys dislike checkraising a marginal toppair, and usually it's a no-no, but it is a time and a place for this play as well. Habitual contbettors are going to slow down a little with the occassional check-raise, you pick up some of his bluffs with good hands as well as with total air when you do this move a couple of times.

It's important to not develop 'Fancy Play Syndrome', and we shouldn't overcomplicate things, but also we can't play to straightforward. The bottom line is this; -Be as unpredictable as possible. At SSNL you usually ain't bluffing and you usually ain't slowplaying. But doing so sometimes is still part of your strategy. Likewise, do at least some check-raising, both on (semi)bluffs and with the goods. Play simple against the fish, just show them your hand, but try to be a little more creative, putting plays on the competent TAG's. If you always play "standard" vs. the good player, he won't have a hard time figuring you out.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead into the PFR with your best hands and your worst hands. Check your medium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. i was going to say lead into him with hands you either want to showdown for all your chips or hands you don't care about showing down.

too wordy.
ness
Old 07-31-2006, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah. But not ALWAYS, right? An opponent who only check his medium hands and lead the rest is quite exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's true in theory, but try it and you'll find it's quite hard. It's actually quite common that you can know that your opponent has a decent hand that they want to show down, but probably not a monster. How can you exploit that? Well you can fold if beat, you can perhaps make a wiser value bet, but the only big way to exploit it is to try to bluff them off their hand.

You might succeed, but if they pick up that it's a bluff they might pick you off. If you do it regularly, they'll adapt and starting trying to trap you with big hands or just call you down more with the medium hands. Also you can't be sure they were just checking a draw and made it.

So, yeah, checking medium hands is slightly exploitable, but certainly not a big leak, and if you check a monster once in a while you can make it unprofitable to try to bluff you off your medium hand.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead into the PFR with your best hands and your worst hands. Check your medium hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Game Theory 002, baby!

(Game Theory 001 is the same thing, but on the river)