Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: According to CNNSI.com. Landis tests positive for Testoterone

I have a question:

What does it mean when his testosterone is normal but his epi-testosterone (sp?) is too low? I hear this discussed so much, but I have no idea what effect it has on an athlete's body.

I'm not being a smartass--I honestly don't know.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:15 PM

it means it could be any wierd freaking thing that caused it.
he supposedly got drunk the night before..hes getting all kinds of supliments and treatments for his hip etc.

The annoying thing is the media keeps saying his testosterone is really high...like he injected himself prior to that day and thats why he made such a huge comeback.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:41 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
The annoying thing is the media keeps saying his testosterone is really high...

[/ QUOTE ]

PTI and Wikipedia both got it right, but yeah, not everyone is reporting that. Landis's oddball press conferences don't really help, either.

I'm chalking this one up as hopelessly confusing.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 AM

Ok, so I got a pretty good rundown here from my medschool girlfriend who did a semester's worth of reasearch on testosterone.

Basically, unless his other tests came back in similar >4:1 t:ept ratio (which they didn't) taking something to raise his testosterone would not only do nothing for him, but would also be pretty stupid. Also, I don't know what kind of test they used, but there are apparently different types of testosterone (floating and binding?) and so during this research they had to do cheek swabs 3 times during the day as blood was not good enough.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:23 AM

Interesting comments from Lance today via AP

[ QUOTE ]
Seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong said all he knew about Landis' case was what has been reported.

"But I will say this," Armstrong told The Associated Press in a phone interview Friday. "When Floyd was with us, there was never a problem. We never saw anything even remotely off, never had a reason to suspect anything. He left our team for a better offer. There was no suspicious behavior, none. It's that simple.

"Secondly, I can't help but be aware the lab that found this suspicious reading is the same one that was at the center of the 'L'Equipe affair."

The French newspaper, L'Equipe, said samples taken from Armstrong during the 1999 Tour de France and then frozen tested positive for the blood-booster EPO. The International Cycling Union commissioned a report that later cleared Armstrong of the doping allegations.

"When an independent investigator contacted the lab, they wouldn't answer the simplest of questions, wouldn't go into their testing ethics, who did the tests, etc., etc.," Armstrong said. "I don't personally have a ton of faith in that lab. I think they should lose their authorization and the report pretty much supports that."

[/ QUOTE ]