Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem 3: The Workbook REVIEW

"Problem 13: SNG, blinds 25/50, stacks 1500ish. One MP limper to you and you’re supposed to limp in the CO with ATo, which I can live with. Only BB comes, and flop is A J 5 . BB checks, limper bets 100, and we’re supposed to just call because one of them might have us beat and you can’t be too careful. No thanks, I’m raising. If I can’t even play my hand strongly on a flop like this then I’d rather not limp it in the first place."

pot= 175
villian bets 100

why would you read a 1/2pot bet as weak?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:29 PM

Harrington's reasoning in 47 states that the Ms are 15 and 30. Which according to the diagram at the start of the problem is clearly wrong, but this might explain his tighter calling range. I laughed at the Ivey 9-3o hand and accepted that it's not a play that I would ever make, but he explained Ivey's reasoning and how Ivey looks at stealing pots with junk hands. Take it with a grain of salt, it's an Ivey play. There are errors in this book, if you go to the books/publications forum alot of them are pointed out. It's still a good book. It does give a brief look at ICM calculations on sit n go bubble situtations, which I've never seen in a book before. People aren't going to take his advice as gospel and for the problems where you guys disagree with his ranges, at least he sets up how to analyze these situations which people can apply to their own game. There's no need to bash the book because you disagree with a few points in it.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Problem 3: Early in a SNG, we raise on the button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], the SB calls and the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB check calls our continuation bet. Turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and SB checks. Harrington wants to check here. I much prefer betting again. Our hand is vulnerable and if SB was planning to checkraise, it’s probably with a hand we’re drawing dead against, and if we check here we are probably going to have to call a river bet. I’m not putting him on a king just because he check called the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris great post. Do you really raise on the button early with 98 suited?
Old 07-29-2006, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Problem 3: Early in a SNG, we raise on the button with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], the SB calls and the flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB check calls our continuation bet. Turn is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and SB checks. Harrington wants to check here. I much prefer betting again. Our hand is vulnerable and if SB was planning to checkraise, it’s probably with a hand we’re drawing dead against, and if we check here we are probably going to have to call a river bet. I’m not putting him on a king just because he check called the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be accurate you are two off the button in the example.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem 42: This is part of the SNG bubble series. Blinds 100/200, 3 stacks including you have 1000 and the big stack is UTG. He pushes (range 100%) and it folds to you in the BB. Harrington says call only AA-88 and AKs, which I assume is what the ICM says to do. I would call a little looser here because otherwise my opponents can simply fold-war me into the ground. I will be forced to go allin at some point so if I have a decent hand I simply have to eat the small loss here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've finally gotten around to reading the book and have just reached the SNG Bubble portion. Since you only mentioned this problem of that section, does that mean the rest of the analysis is correct? It seemed really tight to me. I don't have the book in front of me. But he said to fold to a push unless you have AA and KK if you are tied with the big stack, with two short stacks. The reasoning is the huge difference between the 4th place prize and the third place prize.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Problem 13: SNG, blinds 25/50, stacks 1500ish. One MP limper to you and you’re supposed to limp in the CO with ATo, which I can live with. Only BB comes, and flop is A J 5 . BB checks, limper bets 100, and we’re supposed to just call because one of them might have us beat and you can’t be too careful. No thanks, I’m raising. If I can’t even play my hand strongly on a flop like this then I’d rather not limp it in the first place."

pot= 175
villian bets 100

why would you read a 1/2pot bet as weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't read it as weak, but on balance I probably have the best hand. The bet probably means an Ace, but why would I assume his kicker is better than mine? Why would I read the bet as AJ, AQ or AK? I must raise immediately to avoid giving the BB a cheap card.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington's reasoning in 47 states that the Ms are 15 and 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't noticed this, but whether he really thought that's what they were or not, it doesn't change my opinion on the publication of that problem.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I probably wouldn't in a low limit SNG. If you're in an SNG where the players always call, then winning is not complicated: just make value bets.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I probably wouldn't in a low limit SNG. If you're in an SNG where the players always call, then winning is not complicated: just make value bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an issue for me, us high stakes posters must stick together.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]