Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Saddest Scene in a Sitcom

[ QUOTE ]
Also in "Goodbye, Farewell, Amen" where Hawkeye realizes that the lady on the bus killed a baby and not a chicken is a pretty tough scene.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was shocked years later when I found out that he hadn't died, but he had somehow left the ghetto and become a general on The West Wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm an admiral, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Beat that with a stick."
Old 07-26-2006, 09:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Archie Bunker's Place: When Archie deals with the death of Edith

[/ QUOTE ]

The scene where he tries to wake her up may be the saddest 5 seconds of TV ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're remembering.

Jean Stapleton (Edith) did not appear in the episodes "Archie Alone". The episode starts with Archie working frantically at his new bar/restaurant and his co-workers expressing concern that he hasn't dealt with Edith's death a whole month later.

There was no scene where Archie discovers Edith dead.

Archie Bunker's Place episode guide
Old 07-26-2006, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Good Times: When the family receives news of James' death just as they're about to finally move out of the Chicago ghetto

[/ QUOTE ]

Also from Good Times, when it was revealed that Janet Jackson's character, Penny , was being abused. I think I remember that big bruises or burns on her back that were made by an iron were shown.
I was like 10 years old when that was on and remember it being so foreign to me...and felt so sad about it.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The closing scene of Futurama - "Jurassic Bark"

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this scene mentioned a few times on this board. It's good to know that I wasn't the only one who got choked up by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be the saddest scene ever shown on TV. It's definitely the closest I've come to sadness, not to mention tears, because of something I've merely observed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know this episode. I will look for a clip of it.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this scene mentioned a few times on this board. It's good to know that I wasn't the only one who got choked up by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That has to be the saddest scene ever shown on TV. It's definitely the closest I've come to sadness, not to mention tears, because of something I've merely observed.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YouTube provides everything. It's only the closing minutes.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YouTube provides everything. It's only the closing minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh God! That is wicked sad! Makes me think of my old dog. Ugh, now I need a happy thread.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Lots of good one's listed here. The few I best remember as having an impact on me are the two from MASH that have already been mentioned. As Dynasty already pointed out, anyone who remembers Archie shaking Edith's dead body was having a waking dream.

I don't remember the details other than the death of his father, but I recall the Wonder Years finale being well done.

In the series finale of Cheers, Sam stops to straighten the picture of Coach hanging on the wall before he walks out of the bar.

A nice moment.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:46 PM

Great Thread--brings back some memories.

Archie Bunker grieving for Edith was the hardest for me. GREAT acting from Carroll O'Connor.

The Will Smith scene was good too. I caught that channel surfing and when I reread it above it brought it back....I'm sure there are a lot of people who can relate.

The Futurama scene intrigues me. Never really watch the show, but it deserves a look.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fresh Prince of Bel Air

[Will's father came back into town, and then lied to Will about being around more and left. Phillip is trying to comfort him]
Will: Hey, you no what, you ain't got to do nothing, Uncle Phil. You know, ain't like I'm still five years old, you know? Ain't like I'm gonna be sitting every night asking my mom 'when's daddy coming home?' You know? Who needs him? Hey, he wasn't there to teach me how to shoot my first basket, but I learned it, didn't I? And I got pretty damn good at it too, didn't I, Uncle Phil?
Phillip Banks: Yeah, you did.
Will Got to do my first date without him, right? I learned how to ride, I learned how to shave, I learned how to fight without him. I had *fourteen* great birthdays without him; he never even sent me a damn card. The hell with him!
[pause]
Will: I didn't need him then, I won't need him now.
Phillip Banks: Will...
Will: No, you know what, Uncle Phil? I'm gonna get through college without him, I'm gonna get a great job without him, I'm gonna marry me a beautiful honey and I'm having a whole bunch of kids. I'm gonna be a better father than he ever was. And I sure as hell don't need him for that, 'cause there ain't a damn thing he can teach me about how to love my kids!
[long pause; he's crying]
Will: How come he don't want me, man?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember this scene being very well done. I'll try not to cry reading about this scene.