Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Cooking Question - Pot Roast Meat?

Le Creuset cookware is very pretty and very expensive. BTW you can put your Le Creuset in the oven. But you can get the same results with a $25 cast iron skillet and a roll of aluminum foil, or a $50 cast iron Dutch oven.

Back to the pot roast – in the oven is the way to go. Many of today’s table top slow cookers/crock pots cook at temperatures approaching 300+ degrees (thank you food safety nazis)
Old 07-22-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WRT to the your pot/pan - I am a huge believer in Le Creuset. they make cast iron cookware that will literally last your lifetime. it is expensive, but if you are serious about cooking - particularly rich dishes like pot roast - you will love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kneel B4 Zod - My mom gave me an orange pot a few years back. She said she didn't use it anymore. I didn't realize how expensive those things were! No wonder she looked pissed off when she saw my boyfriend feeding his dog with it. She only brought that up like every time I went to visit her. Anyway the orange one has been missing a few years now.

For some reason I'm determined to learn how to make my roast in a conventional oven. But now that I've been looking at Le Creuset cookware online I'm starting to want one of these:

I think they're about $215.00. I believe I need one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 5 1/2 quart French Oven is the most versatile pot they sell. It it not what you need for a pot roast, but works great for all kinds of stews, risottos, etc. (They are all oven safe, as well). If you are going to buy just one, I would start with that.

but like I said, this stuff often goes on sale for very reasonable prices at Amazon.

I got this set

(2-3/4-quart lidded soup pot, 10-1/4-inch skillet, 3-1/2-quart lidded buffet casserole, and 5-1/2-quart lidded French oven)

for a total of $240.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Le Creuset cookware is very pretty and very expensive. BTW you can put your Le Creuset in the oven. But you can get the same results with a $25 cast iron skillet and a roll of aluminum foil, or a $50 cast iron Dutch oven.

Back to the pot roast – in the oven is the way to go. Many of today’s table top slow cookers/crock pots cook at temperatures approaching 300+ degrees (thank you food safety nazis)

[/ QUOTE ]

The oven probably is the better way to go but I havent experienced any drying/toughness problems with our slow cooker.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Hi Katy-

I found my recipe for pot roast...I will give it to you as I have it written(for a large crowd) but easy to adjust depending on how many you plan to cook for.

This is done on the stove top-

(I used) 3 chuck roasts, salt and pepper them and sear in olive oil-remove the roasts, add 6 cups of water(a little red wine would also be good) and 3 jars of prepared horseradish, return roasts to liquid, cover and simmer on low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
Once in a while check your liquid so that it does not cook out-add some if need be.

After the 1 1/2 hours, add veggies, 2 or so bags of baby carrots, pearl onions and new potatoes.
Cover and simmer another 1 1/2 hours on low heat until meat is fork tender.

This also freezes really well.