Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: AL Rookie of the Year?

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, sorry I was thinking about MVP. Anyways, my point still stands, just by being a starter, Liriano means much more to his team than Papelbon. Pitching 7 dominant innings every time he starts > pitching 1 dominant inning every other game or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea...liriano >>>>>>> papelbon. look at smoltz's years at a closer, and the fact that atlanta decided his mid 3 ERA as a starter would still be more beneficial to the team.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with that...if Liriano finishes 13-0 w/ a 2.00 ERA of course he wins Cy Young. but as of now saying "it's not even close" is silly

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its basically if the season was over today, giving it to anyone besides Liriano would be a big mistake

so until he faulters its HIS award

he leads the majors in ERA by .58
he is 1st in WHIP, 2nd in BAA, 9th in Strikeouts(this will improve), 1st in K/9, 5th in K/BB

that is an absolutely monster year, if he gets 200IP with that type of statline, I don't see how you could ever give the award to a closer regardless of the closers stats
Old 07-19-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, sorry I was thinking about MVP. Anyways, my point still stands, just by being a starter, Liriano means much more to his team than Papelbon. Pitching 7 dominant innings every time he starts > pitching 1 dominant inning every other game or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure, but my point is that at some point, the values equal out.

7ip w/ a 3.00 ERA vs a closer w/ a .2 ERA - which is more valuable?

just blindly closing your eyes and saying "zomg Liriano is a starter he deserves to winno matter what the #'s say!!" is silly.

now, like I already said, if the guy finishes 24-2 w/ a 2.00 ERA and 250 IP then he's gotta win. but if his second half is merely good while Papelbon continues to be nearly perfect, it will be close.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:38 AM

Yea, obviously a lot of things could happen that could take Liriano or Papelbon or both of them completely out of the race. When I said it wasn't even close, I meant that if the season ended right now, Liriano would be the unanimous choice.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just blindly closing your eyes and saying "zomg Liriano is a starter he deserves to winno matter what the #'s say!!" is silly.

now, like I already said, if the guy finishes 24-2 w/ a 2.00 ERA and 250 IP then he's gotta win. but if his second half is merely good while Papelbon continues to be nearly perfect, it will be close.

[/ QUOTE ]

see last year's AL CY race. colon won because he was a starter.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Colon won because the Angels gave him 6.3runs a game in support

Santana was the true CyYoung winner, Rivera #2
Old 07-19-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair cdxx, papelbon's year is a wee bit better than rivera's last year

but let's not forget, he blew 3 saves!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM

Napoli clearly deserves it
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM

I'm a Sox fan, and I want to have Paps' children someday, but if I was voting, I'd probably go with Liriano right now.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair cdxx, papelbon's year is a wee bit better than rivera's last year

but let's not forget, he blew 3 saves!

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys are missing my point. starters always win (with eric gagne being the outlier). it has nothing to do who is more deserving.