Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Default How deep do they think i think?

[ QUOTE ]
It's higher levels of thinking. He would fold because he knows that Barry knows that 66 should call here because Barry can be bluffing with AKss, so anytime Barry bets here he has a real hand. HOWEVER, Barry doesn't know how good a player he is, so he assumes his bluff gets called by any hand that beats him and he just checks behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Even then, the Turn check-call and the River check-fold makes sense only if Ian knew which level of thinking that Barry thought Ian was using. Do elite players at the stage of a Limit tournament normally assume that relatively unknown players think at one or two levels?

I'm curious because i was in the Top 15% in both WSoP Limit Events this year that i entered (my only WSoP Events ever aside from the Main Events). Even at that stage, I assumed that most of my opponents never gave me credit for doing anything much more than thinking my own hand and about what hand they had. That appeared to be the level of thinking for most of the players, even that late in the tourney. Of course, I was thinking about what they thought i had, but only on a handful of occasions against solid opponents who i had been observing my play for awhile did i bother to go one level further.

Then again, if Barry Greenstein assumed that Ian was thinking at the level i normally used or lower, then Ian's River check-fold plan would make sense for the reasons you described.

I guess i just don't know how elite players think when encountering unknown players in situations like this. Given that, I'd have enough doubt to make a crying call here if i decided to call on the Turn.

As my experience is mostly playing 5/10, 10/20, or Limit SnGs on the internet, i only make laydowns in situations like that once a month or so and only against very familiar opponents. Hell, in Barry's position i might value bet AK against some people.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Re: How deep do they think i think?

Finally one of you donks win.

But seriously, congratufuckinglations.