Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: What Aren\'t You Getting From Your WSOP Coverage...?

[ QUOTE ]
IName-tags would probably help in this regard.
I think it's something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be very easy and relatively cheap to implement. When you register for an event they could take your photo and print it on a ID badge with a bar code of your info almost instantly. Like a school or work ID. You could use it for all of the events you enter just by swiping it. Might even load it with cash like a debit card for the rebuys.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:17 PM

Nobody is discussing cash games, thats some of the most interesting action in the Rio in my humble opinion besides the HORSE 50k buyin. More fortunes have always been made and lost in the cash games than in the tournaments themselves.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody is discussing cash games, thats some of the most interesting action in the Rio in my humble opinion besides the HORSE 50k buyin. More fortunes have always been made and lost in the cash games than in the tournaments themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

PHENOMENAL idea.

Would you expect (or hope) this would be live coverage throughout the night OR would you be happy enough seeing anecdotes and hands in report-form in the morning?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PHENOMENAL idea.

Would you expect (or hope) this would be live coverage throughout the night OR would you be happy enough seeing anecdotes and hands in report-form in the morning?

[/ QUOTE ]

Following day would do, its more about who is in the action, what they are playing, who is winner and who is not winner. Some hands would be interesting as well of course in PLO, NL and oddball games such as Chinese Poker and Badugi. Limit hands wouldn't be as fascinating unfortunately but talk of XYZ player totally dominated the 100/200 tables would be most excellent.

Also if you could lobby to get the 2007 WSOP expanded to start 1 week early with cash games, and also to put the cash games in a separate room that would be a great service to the community. There aren't enough tables, the cash games don't spread until late in the day when there are tons of players chomping at the bit to play much bigger than the Rio can accommodate. Most of the really high limit action went over to the Bellagio because the Rio just didn't have it together.

This is also a great way to introduce lesser known names who are the heavies of the internet games to the general public, it seems we are cleaning up at the cash game tables this year from what I saw.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only issue now is why not only post a few hands at a time instead of posting 5 or 6 hands. I can't see that being any more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno how they're doing it this year, but last year they basically had guys out at the tables taking notes, and phoning 'em in to another set of guys at the laptops who typed it all in. There's a fair bit of overhead to each of these interactions, so clumping 5 or 7 hands together in each update makes sense. And I don't see the need for instant real-time updates...15-minute delays seem ok for these things to me.

I think CP has improved a lot since the start of the WSOP. The first tourneys were just abysmally reported. I think the reporting is more detailed and more timely now, and the major flaw remains the redesigned web site, which truly, stunningly sucks. HORRIBLE idea to throw it in mid-WSOP. But then, Harrah's did the same thing with the worldseriesofpoker.com site, the redesign of which is awful. Folks forget it's all about the information and how it's presented, not about the pretty graphics.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We all know the sites that have coverage, big and small.

What information aren't you getting enough?

What information do you not care about?

In short: if you had your way when you clicked on Site X, what would you see?

(Note to mods: I wasn't sure if this was WSOP-related or more suited for News, Views, and Gossip; move it there with my apologies if that's where this belongs.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about ideal I'd love to be able to drill down and get full hand information and full chip stack info for any table on any tournament.

Sort of like a gamecast for tournament poker. That way if I wanted to sweat someone I could.

I realize that CP doesn't have that info right now. It would be difficult to do, but with some combination of RFID chips, players registering with names and photos at startup time, simple webcam covering the tables with cheap transcription, it is at least technologically possible to have coverage about as good as the final table currently is for the earlier tables.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:41 AM

You couldn't have updates on each hand on each table.

but I don't think it would be that impossible to have a list of all 2k players on day 1a and have semi-frequent updates on their chip-stack size.

I think it could be done semi-decently with 10 people.
You would have 4 people roaming around. Each would cover 1/4 of the tables. So they only have 50 tables to update.

You have 4 people on head-sets and computers to copy-in all the info that is being relayed to them audibly.

You hsve 2 people on stand-by to rotate in and give breaks.

Reporter A is covering tables 1-50 and is on a head-set just saying out-loud the chip-stack sizes of each player at each table.
He is speaking directly to blogger-A who is updating the first 500 names on the list.

he starts at table 1 and just says:
1-1 (no need to say Table 1, Seat 1) - John smith, 10-thousand
1-2 - Matt Akawnadoodle-doo, 9-thousand, 8-hundred

etc etc

The blogger who is listening to all this has a list of all the names in the correct table-order and is also able to easily find them via alphabetical or anything else. Just use a decent program that allows you to toggle back and forth between lists for when players get moved to different tables.

so that guy mostly just has to find the name (and have a program that makes it easy to do so) and type in the approximated chip-amount.

Now that I think about it, 2 reporters in each quandrant might be a little bit better so that they can kind of keep up with players who have been eliminated who tend to leave as fast as they can a lot of the time.

It would also be helpful if each player were required to give their name after busting-out.

as it is currently, if you aren't in the money you just bust-out and leave the room...without me saying so there is absolutely no record of whether I busted on day 1a at 1:00pm or at 11:00pm.

I'm sure I'm making this a little more complicated than it needs to be.
But the way I envision it, it would definitely be do-able to update the ups and downs of 2,000 players and their chip-stacks if a web-site had the manpower and desire to do this.

I also believe that an audio-webcast could conceiveably be done similarly (again, borrowing from the NASCAR radio structue a bit).
But you would have to have a little more story-line in there of the name players and couldn't just read a list of every single one of the 2,000 names over and over again.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 AM

RFID chips could very well be down to 5c each by next year.

Implant them in name tags and the large-denomination chips.

Color up aggressively.

Done.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to see them get his/her name before making updates, I understand this could be difficult every time, but it would be really nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed -- and it is relatively easy on those occasions when that "unknown" bests a big name in a huge pot. John Q. Public with visions of millions dancing in his head doesn't mind rattling off his name and serial number then. However ... when they lose that big pot, it's not exactly the time they want to be asked their name, asked to repeat their name, and, oh, yeah, your name is hard to spell, could you spell it while you think about the fact that you're now crippled in chips.

Name tags would rule so much it wouldn't be funny.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:48 AM

Bob --

I agree, with 10 people (maybe a dozen), you could do exactly what you're looking for. Granted: it would be up to CardPlayer and/or PokerWire to make that happen as they're the only sites allowed to have more than just a couple of people.

Requiring people to register when they bust out is huge. When you think about it, during the day, no one really knows who's in the tournament and who is not. The only thing stopping a big name pro from buying someone else's seat is that a number of people saw that pro get busted out at some other table.

Regardless, a big problem for all sites is that even if the floor knows where everyone is to start, they're always in the process of breaking tables as people bust out and those charts aren't kept as up-to-date as one would hope. (Which then goes back to the name tag idea being terrific.)