Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2006, 04:37 AM

Default Re: PP $6: Small steal turns into all-in decision.

Your first mistake is playing $6 ones on Party where you pay 5-1 in rake instead of $6.50s on stars where you only pay 12-1, or even $5.50 regs where you pay 10-1.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:02 AM

*grunch*
I wouldn't say this is a standard c-bet on the flop. The board looks like it could create trouble for you, even though you are facing only one opponent. But if your lone opponent is loose, she will almost definitely find a reason to call a 800 bet here. Maybe she is thinking about check-folding the turn UI but you would basically have to go AI in order to achieve that.

My general line for c-betting flops like this is that I'm either betting the pot or checking behind. The idea is that your opponent isn't making much of a mistake by calling a 3/5 pot bet with a draw or a mediocre pair if that's all she has to pay to see the river.

I'm not saying that you should fire again on the turn here since it's not all over for you even if you just give it up now. This isn't a hopeless situation if you manage to keep your emotional control.

I'd still like to add that your chip position before this hand makes it an awkward c-bet,IMO. Like I said, you should probably BTP here (if you want to c-bet), but you might as well go AI if you decide to play it like that. Then you would be playing for your whole stack w/ Q-hi, which isn't very good either. So check behind on the flop, and prepare to fold on turn UI.

Sorry for rambling like that,
Gray_Stork
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 AM

Fold PF. If BB is loose, don't tangle. As said the t300 chips you steal mean pretty much nothing to you.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 AM

The problem with this hand IMO is the flop c-bet. That's a pretty scary board for me and I am not interested in trying to push a loose player off their hand when they will probably be inclined to put me on overcards and will be correct. The other thing is that I have outs. A 7 is almost certainly good, a Q is probably good and a 9 might be good. For this reason it would be unfortunate if I got checkraised.

Pushing the turn would be insanity, you have no hand facing a loose player and a ton of outs. Even if the loose player calls you with like a king high flush draw, they'll be winning straight up. Although there's nothing wrong with your PF raise, I agree with the consensus to fold PF if you're going to get overexcited postflop like this.